suggestion for a 6-pin PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

wejos

good evening guys,

need your suggestion what 8-pin pic is good to use. cheaper kind the better and programmer should be simple also to make for a novice like me.

thanks in advance,

wejos

Assuming you mean 8 pin (and not 6), the 12F675 is a good coice, and even has analogue inputs.

thanks nigel. i'm always greatful.

yes i meant 8 pin.

i am reading now about the suggested pic.

I like the 12F683. It has double the program size, RAM, and internal oscillator speed of the 675, and can do PWM. I got 5 of them for $10 from here: **broken link removed**

Yeah the 8-pin stuff you can't run ICD on. There's a "header board" using another chip which has more pins which get used for ICD, while only exposing 8 pins for the target board. ICD is really excellent- once I got a programmer which used it, it's hard to go back.

Also a problem which is more likely to come up with low pincount devices- you may need to use the MCLR, PGD/PGC pins as I/O too. In some cases, this is no problem. In other cases, the direction and signals used for ICP are not compatible with the surrounding circuitry, meaning no ICP- it must be programmed off the board and installed. This is a major PITA for development even for DIP, and a huge problem for SMD.

Last edited:
Yes, 10F series - but (if I recall correctly) SM only - the DIP version for development is 8 pin.

You are correct Nigel.

In addition, according to Microchip, as the die is aimed at a SOT23 package the pinout of the 10F 8-DIP is different to traditional 8-pin packages.

The AC163020 Programmer Adapter Board does the magic for you, but whipping up a 10F_to_8-pin converter on stripboard doesn't take long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…