Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggestion!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheng_james

hey Engineer's,students,technician etc in this thread I suggest that lets research and make a project that can help our environment. lets design that would help our mother earth. i hope evryone of us have love and care for our mother earth as i watch the documentary entitled "AN INCONVINIENT TRUTH", i really want to help to stop global warming but i dont know how.... i

Stop Global Warming? Are you sure it's even posable, or if we even want to? How much has the planet "warmed" in the past 100 years? The planet is still recovering from the 'Ice Age'.

Now, I do support cleaning up this garbage dump we call home, and stop wasting our resources so carelessly. I do believe that we need to stop clear cutting forests, there is plenty of places to build and be less destructive.

I have one suggestion. Try to avoid, in forum terms, multiple exclamation points, all capital letters, bold, and red text. This will reflect a conversational tone, which in my humble opinion, is more likely to attract a positive response.

What kind of ideas do you have for such a project? For the life of me I can't think of a single one.

sheng james said:
...I suggest that lets research and make a project that can help our environment...
You could try browsing the "Alternative Energy" forum on this site, and see if you get any ideas from there. Join the discussion, share your project idea, do something. Find satisfaction in doing something, regardless of any messages that might denounce the relative impact of your endeavour. I think there's only a very, very small fraction of the population capable of making such judgment calls. The rest of us are better off going with our gut instinct.

Last edited:
The pollutants that spewed forth from Mt. St. Helens attribituted to more atmospheric clutter worldwide than all that of the United States since it became industrialized!! Compact flourescent lightbulbs in homes and businesses are but a drop in the bucket towards reducing sulfur emissions at coal-fired generating plants!!

Global Warming is a NATURAL occurrence. There is no way to stop it and/or prevent it!

Marks256 said:
Global Warming is a NATURAL occurrence. There is no way to stop it and/or prevent it!

How about somewhere in between? Like reduce?

I am not up for an argument (yet... maybe another time... ;) ), but no. Anything we try to do to reduce it, the effect will be so insignificant that it won't make a difference.

It is human nature to worry. Global warming is one of those things 'made' to make us worry.

whats the outcome going to be of global warming apart form the sea rising a meter or so, and the temperature being half a degree higher?

"An Inconvenient Truth" -- Did you know that the average temperature on Mars has increased at least as much or more than Earth's has increased in the past 30 years? That is, according to NASA and as reported this year in Science News. Of course, that doesn't prove that mankind's activities on Earth don't contribute to the effect here, but clearly, there are other major factors to consider. As an alternative view, historical and archeological evidence over eons shows that the Earth has either been in a state of warming or cooling. Thus, it seems a bit silly to attribute warming as a bad change per se just because mankind may contribute to it a little.

With respect to pollution of our environment, one of my pet peeves is our increasingly disposable society. Ever try to buy a replacement part for something made in China, or anywhere else for that matter? Repair has got to contribute less to pollution from manufacturing processes than replacement of the complete item. Perhaps, like the restrictions on hazardous materials in electronics, we need regulations mandating that a certain percentage of products being sold must be repairable, and the companies making those items must be responsible for proving that such repair parts are being sold and used.
John

Edit: Here's the reference citation for the Mars comment. "No Escape: There's global warming on Mars Too," Science News, 2007;171(#14):214. You may need to subscribe to access this link online: https://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20070407/fob7.asp

Last edited:
I will not argue that humankind has contributed to global warming, but if there were to be a pie chart showing what we have contributed, our little sliver would be insignificant compared to other sources.

I agree that something must be done about our disposal rate. But the thing is, it will never work as long as our products are coming from china. The reason the companies are there in the first place is to make products as cheap as possible. Just look at surface mount crap, and the "blob ic's"

**broken link removed**

With those, it is nearly impossible to repair things. If manufactures had to make products serviceable, more safety features would have to be added, as well as parts to be replaced!

Marks256 said:
It is human nature to worry. Global warming is one of those things 'made' to make us worry.
And yet you're obviously buying into the bogus, growing anxiety the U.S. has with respect to China.

Do you consider oxygen a renewable resource, and if so, how do you plan to distribute it? Accurately assessing the causes of these situations and realizng their solutions are beyond the myopic capabilities of barstool engineers and scientists. In short, laymen can't be trusted to act appropriately in relation to such things, and this is one of the downsides to democracy. At a certain point, people need to be told what to do, with their best interests protected through the dictation of a superior authority.

Hank, the problem with that is the people in power are never the one's most qualified to dictate such "superior authority" Every single last war ever fought in the history of mankind was from someone that 'knew better' against 'inferior' ideas, and those turned out wonderfully =)

Hank, the problem with that is the people in power are never the one's most qualified to dictate such "superior authority"
Being "in power" is synonymous with being a superior authority, regardless of what (especially in your country) superficial things like elections may lead you to believe to the contrary. Isn't the unofficial motto of the U.S. Air Force "lead, follow, or get out of the way"? I think it's the second part most folks have a problem with, the idea of submitting to a leader. Don't submit to people who don't know what they're doing, and there's no problem - it's as simple as that. The minimum of your obiligations to yourself is to have the capacity for good judgment, and that's something that I believe is inherent to any living person, along the lines of "make the best decision to keep yourself alive."

That said, there are certain people who are incapable of making the best decisions with respect to themselves, and depending who they are those decisions may be at any level, e.g. "Should I put pants on before I go outside?" or "Should I vote Republican?" Some people can make those decisions, other people can't, and I think greater detail towards aptitude testing is in order. What's bugging you is your percerption that your liberties are somehow being infringed upon, but that's nothing compared to what might happen if you were given free reign to make bad decisions, that is, decisions in areas of your life over which you are too poorly informed to do anything better than guess.

Last edited:
Marks256 said:
I agree that something must be done about our disposal rate. But the thing is, it will never work as long as our products are coming from china.
I've noticed an increase in the amount of anti-China sentiment in U.S. popular media over the last couple months or so. You might attribute this to anything from the status of China as a threat to the U.S. as a superpower and the U.S. need to establish its own identity via a military challenge towards an "enemy," or to the sport mentality building to the upcoming Olympics. Whether it's one of those things, somewhere in between, or something else altogether that's the cause of the China anxiety, it's palpable nonetheless. You gotta watch yourself about who's feeding your paranoia and why - that stuff can ride up on a nation like a badly fitting pair of pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back