Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suits

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJammin

I've read that the suits CEO's wear cost thousands of dollars and are custom tailored, etc. How many of those suits do you think each CEO has on average? How many would one need to pursue a professional career as a CEO? To me, most suits look the same, so do you think you could just buy one suit and wear it all the time and no one would notice?

Suits are uniforms for the presentations for many years. I still have my suit for 20 years. I wore it for job interviews, wedding parties and ferrenals.

people that wear fine suits can tell the difference, they can easily pick out who's wearing a cheapo vs who's wearing a pricey number ... to the untrained eye, they all look the same.

fyi, almost all suits are custom tailored, unless you're buying them from walmart / brand-x discount shop. the difference is pricey suits are custom 'built', where you pick out the vest, the body, the arms, (tails possibly) all separately, and a tailor then assembles it for you. then there's the quality of the wool or silk used in the textiles which comprise the suit.

Presentation goes a long way, which is something I preach more than practice. I think like most guys, necessity and convenience have guided my style more than anything else. My plan over the next year or so is to evolve beyond simply confirming that I'm wearing pants before I leave the house.

As superficial as it may be, looking good counts. Imagine if someone at work sent you a sloppily written e-mail, or put a blueprint on your desk with wrinkles and rips and coffee stains all over it. Doesn't mean the content is seriously compromised, right? But it does influence the way it's perceived by most people, even by the ones who don't consciously feel they're superficial. The business world is saturated with competition in every direction, so every detail counts, and given a choice of similar, competing products (or businesses, or employees seeking promotion), most people are going to go with their best impression. Unfortunately, it's an environment that hides a lot of fakers: people who can't do their job but fly under the radar of better judgment because they're wearing the right kind of camouflage.

Most people don't have to buy an expensive suit to get by (with the exception maybe of your own wedding, where you might justify going the extra mile). An inexpensive suit can still look great, but don't buy it off the rack - let the tailor take your measurements, and pay the couple bucks extra for alterations if that's the deal (sometimes the cost is included in the purchase). This goes for buying just a jacket or dress pants, too. Get recommendations on tailors and suit brands from people at your work (or friends) who look good, because gettng a bad suit is like getting a bad haircut.

My advice is to look good, and to get someone to help you with it (girlfriend, mom, dad, wingman) so they can confirm it and you don't have to obsess about it. Whipping out the old iron goes a long way (seriously). If you're like me and you lack all sense of style, copy someone elses. So what if you're a faker when it comes to looking good? That's better than being a faker at everything else. The impression you'll give the world is that you're the kind of guy who doesn't mind taking care of details, as oppose to the kind of guy who can't be bothered.

Last edited:
My wife does not allow me to dress good or gel my hair for work. She thinks I might attractive to someone at work. I am working in a factory. So, suits might not be suitable for me. I agreed with you that presentation is very important in this high competition world. Well dressed man promoted fast.

t.o. said:
My wife does not allow me to dress good or gel my hair for work. She thinks I might attractive to someone at work.

Hard to argue against that logic, you handsome devil you.

My wife does not allow me to dress good or gel my hair for work.

Your wife doesn't allow you? That's a very scarey statement!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back