Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Supecapacitors in PV systems: a lil help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave_dj88

Hey, i've been workin on this project involving the use of supercaps as energy storage in a PV system supplying a dc load.
The system consists of a Maximum Power Point Tracker (MPPT) that biases the PV for the correct amount of power and provides this at a nominal voltage (say, 12V) to the load.

During high light intensity, the supercap bank acts as a part of the load storing some energy.

The problem is at low light intensity: the PV power is insufficient for the DC load, and the supercap is required to act as a source (look at diagram).
The MPPT will provide LESS than the nominal voltage (say, it provides 10V). I figured the supercap charge controller should detect this drop in MPPT voltage and provide 12V on the line (as shown in diagram).

My problem is that the MPPT supplies 10V, while the supercaps provide 12V. Is this going to work?

1.Will the load get its required voltage (12V) and current?
2.Won't the power flow from the supercaps into the MPPT due to the voltage difference?

Attachments

• PV supercap 2.JPG
    PV supercap 2.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 137
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back