Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Super Bright Led Flashlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscodatownship

:eek: I am considering building a super bright LED flashlight. I am talking like 20 to 30 watts or more, if this is even possible. I am unsure about the power that the LED's need and if there is any trick to supplying it other than strait to them with a switch. Also if anyone has any ideas on where to find the correct LED "bulbs." A guy at work thought he was so cool when he came to work with his 4 watt one, and I wanted to blow his out of the water! Thanks in advance everyone!!!!

There is a forum on the web, totally dedicated to modifying flashlights. Don't remember the name, just stumbled on it while search for something related. Pretty sure it would be perfect for your interest, the members don't seem to care about price, just as long as its the brightest.

CandlePowerForums

*Made a quick search out of curiosity, wasn't hard to find...

Last edited:
if this is even possible.

Anything is possible, but have you given any though as to how you might do it? You can get a 5 watt LED, but I haven't really seen anything bigger then that. You could use several 5 watt leds, but then you are going to run into reflector/lense issues because your LEDs will not all be in the center if the light.

Also, those big leds put off alot of heat, and if you don't heat sink them well they will burn out.

Not saying not to try, but I promise you will come out money ahead if you just buy a LED flashlight.

I have 36 Luxeon Superflux red LEDs operating at a total of 4.7W and they get pretty hot. I use it as a night light and it lights the entire hallway.

I have another one with only 16 of the very bright red LEDs and it lights my bedroom.

I used red because it looks "hot" and because a guy on another forum gave me hundreds of them for helping him do a project.

Thank you all for the help. I'm not just looking for the bragging rights, just thought I might have fun doing it. All of these ideas and links are a great help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back