Surface mountable Capacitors/Resistors

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBKA

Hi,

I am currently developing a schematics using eagle, and there is a C1206 (US) surface mountable capacitor. I know that in my local electronic store they do have some surface mountable capacitor. Do you think they will have 1uF capacitors, or do surface mountable caps are in order of pFs?

Also, I would like to use surface mountable resistors, are there any limits on those too? I was thinking about using R-US_R1206.

As for the surface mountable caps/resistors, are there any restrictions on the capacitance/resistance/power?

Thank You,

Vlad.

I know that in my local electronic store they do have some surface mountable capacitor. Do you think they will have
No way of knowing. Maybe you should tell us where you are. It's a small world, but not that small.

1uF is commonly available as a surface mountable capacitor; I'm sure some are made in size 1206.

Hi Vlad,

Do you think they will have 1uF capacitors, or do surface mountable caps are in order of pFs?

Well I don't know about your store, but I have a roll of .1uF here. They are marked 16 volt 10%. They are small size 0603. I think this means 6mm x 3mm. The 1206 would be 12mm x 6mm, if I'm thinking correctly. (I'm new at surface mount too.) I also have 0805 caps rated at 100 volts, so I know there are a range of voltage ratings. You should be able to get most any value available in ceramics, in a surface mount package.

I have some 1206 1% and 0805 5% resistors rated at 100mW, and I've seen 1206 rated at 250mW. Vishay has a 1 watt 1206 resistor, so by searching around you should be able to find what you need.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but if you google on 1206 smt resistor, or capacitor, you will get lots of info.

almost everything made for through-hole is made for SMD. (actually more things are made SMD than holed). Resistor wattage goes to 1W IMHO (if not more). Also you can get virtually any capacitor for SMD.
I know, I use those things for every board I make... Much more cost effective you know... (and also neater)

You can get surface mount capacitors in most sizes, the smallest I've seen is 1pF at 50V and largest I've seen is 2200:mu:F at 35V.

bloody-orc said:
I know, I use those things for every board I make... Much more cost effective you know... (and also neater)

Are you doing soldering iron, toaster oven, or fry pan ?

Here is a small tutorial (but very good) about conventions used in eagle choosing the right parts:

**broken link removed**

BeeBop said:
Well I don't know about your store, but I have a roll of .1uF here. They are marked 16 volt 10%. They are small size 0603. I think this means 6mm x 3mm. The 1206 would be 12mm x 6mm, if I'm thinking correctly. (I'm new at surface mount too.)

0603 should be 0.6 mm x 0.3 mm, the size is length and width in tenths of a millimeter

justDIY said:
0603 should be 0.6 mm x 0.3 mm, the size is length and width in tenths of a millimeter

Those dimensions seem small compared to what I measure. Some references show that the SMD size is equal to the dimension in hundredth's of inches. That is, an 0805 resistor is 0.08" long (about 2mm) and 0.05" wide (about 1.27 mm), which agrees better with actual measurements. John

jpanhalt said:
Those dimensions seem small compared to what I measure. Some references show that the SMD size is equal to the dimension in hundredth's of inches.

haha, I go from too big, to too small

thanks for the clarifaction

mils make more sense - nothing like throwing the odd imperial measurement unit in there now and again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…