Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switch buttons shorted when pressing two simultaneously (Multilplexing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lloydi12345

I am creating 16 switch buttons out of 8 pins in a microcontroller. Four are set for input while the other four are set for output and they are done in multiplexing. One column is scanned with '1' while the other 3 is '0'. The problem is, when two buttons are pressed simultaneously from a different column I think they are being shorted. I have seen this image in one site similar to mine but in his case he is using '0' to one column while the other 3 are '1'.

keypad_short2.gif

https://extremeelectronics.co.in/avr-tutorials/4x3-matrix-keypad-interface-avr-tutorial/

How can I avoid shorting of the pins? I am using PIC18.

Attachments

• keypad_short2.gif
    keypad_short2.gif
    26.8 KB · Views: 188
Start with all 8 lines as inputs, make only one of the columns at a time a low output, then make it an input again before testing the next column. That way there is no high-to-low short.

Or, put a resister in series with each column.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back