Switch through case ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
How do you setup switches on a PCB that work from outside a case?

I am using the switches that mount to the PCB. I would like to activate them from outside the case. Indoor use, small is good.

Is there a right/easy way to do this or will it work to drill a hole and stuff a matching plastic rod into it, maybe a rod in a tube epoxied to the case. Mushroom the underside of the rod to keep it from falling out. The space between the case and the top of the switch will be 2 or 3 mm. I have some adjustment here. Maybe someone make an button insert that pops into a hole to push the button?

The case is a Hamond with a wall thickness of 2mm.
The switches are E-Series Tactial Switch 6.4X5.0MM 130G switches.
Mouser 612-TL1107BF130W DataSheet

How often will you need to press the buttons? If it's rarely or infrequently, just drill holes and poke something through. Glue a small piece of tubing (guts out of an empty ballpoint pen) to the button.

Frequently. Working on putting a
Mondo
SuperPobe
into a case. Got the board so that it can be built DS or SS with 4 jumpers.

EDIT:
The glue thing got me thinking. What I need to do is find switches with studs/buttons that are long enough to stick up through the case.

When consumer goods uses this sort of switch the custom case provides the mechanism to push on the switches.

Last edited:
I've swipped some from a VCR before, or you could get some like these at Digi-Key

**broken link removed**

How about the little plastic pieces that explode out of a remote or calculator when you pry them open? Don't know how you would drill a rectangular hole, maybe a dremel and a small router type bit.

Good idea. I chucked all the unneeded ones when I move. Maybe the thrift store has some.

Since your PCB is so close to the surface of the enclosure, you could drill a hole directly over each switch and drop in a plastic ball (Wal-Mart and craft stores such as Hobby Lobby have all sorts of beads and balls in their crafts/scrapbooking sections). Cover with a nice, thick polyethelyne strip using double-sided tape. The accessory bags that came with Hewlett-Packard test equipment was wonderful stuff for such applications.

Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…