Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switch which can handle i<4A

Status
Not open for further replies.

prohan86

Hi,

I am working on a system in which I have to use a microcontroller to turn on a switch. So can any of the gurus here suggest which kind of device i have to use?? the switch has to handle currents of less than 4A.. a few frnds have suggested a relay.. but they are quite bulky.. so I am thinking of using a triac (may be BTB04-600SL).. which one should I use?? The system has to work for a long loooooooooooong time. please let me know if you have a better idea/device in mind.

Regards,
Rohan

Hi,

I am working on a system in which I have to use a microcontroller to turn on a switch. So can any of the gurus here suggest which kind of device i have to use?? the switch has to handle currents of less than 4A.. a few frnds have suggested a relay.. but they are quite bulky.. so I am thinking of using a triac (may be BTB04-600SL).. which one should I use?? The system has to work for a long loooooooooooong time. please let me know if you have a better idea/device in mind.

Regards,
Rohan

hi,
Is the < 4A 'ac' or 'dc'
If its AC then a triac would be OK, if its DC a MOSFET would be a good choice.

thanks a lot for the reply..

its dc so I will use a MOSFET. do u think it can survive heavy usage like 12 hrs a day for 10 yrs?? (while switching ON/OFF 10 times a day)

thanks a lot for the reply..

its dc so I will use a MOSFET. do u think it can survive heavy usage like 12 hrs a day for 10 yrs?? (while switching ON/OFF 10 times a day)

properly rated one could do that 100K times a second for ten years... just keep the junction temperature below 70C

A MOSFET can turn on and of at 100k times a second so what you're asking it to do is not going to be a problem.

Great...... but hey I am goin to put this in switch boards and that includes rooms where there will be no air conditioning.. will the temp of IC reach 70C for the usage I just mentioned, especially when the summer heat touches 45C ?? r there any methods to reduce the temp??

and also what is the max Id I can pass thro a mosfet??

Last edited:
The absolute maximum current rating depends on the MOSFET and can be found on the datasheet which can normally be found using Google.

Great...... but hey I am goin to put this in switch boards and that includes rooms where there will be no air conditioning.. will the temp of IC reach 70C for the usage I just mentioned, especially when the summer heat touches 45C ?? r there any methods to reduce the temp??

hi,
There is a vast range of currents available, this would suit your App.

How will the Gate be controlled.??

Attachments

• Si4404..pdf
    59.1 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

Here is a tutorial about choosing Mosfets and what the data sheet numbers mean; FET Current Ratings -- Chuck's Robotics Notebook

hi,
There is a vast range of currents available, this would suit your App.

How will the Gate be controlled.??

Hi,

Thanks all for ur comments..

if I use the mosfet suggested by Mr Eric (Si4404DY).. can u pls suggest how much extra electricity will be consumed operating a Si4404DY which will be triggerd using a microcontroller compared to a manual switch ??

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks all for ur comments..

if I use the mosfet suggested by Mr Eric (Si4404DY).. can u pls suggest how much extra electricity will be consumed by Si4404DY which will be triggerd using a microcontroller compared to a manual switch ??

hi,
The FET is a voltage controlled device having a very input resistance and the ON resistance is approx 8 milliohms, so I would say the difference in consumption is zero.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back