Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Symmetric power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tafie

Hi everyone! I need to build a symmetric 12V(±12V) power supply using discrete components. I need a simple functional transistor circuit.

If it's less than an amp, I suggest just using a LM7812 and LM7912. Quick and easy, works great, thermal protection, one part and a couple of caps - done.

Symmetric PS

The thing is I only have a 20V transformer, diodes, 7812 and a bunch of transistors and other basic discrete components. I dont have 7912. I was hoping that its possible make a transistor circuit.

Does the transformer have two windings?

What's its maximum current rating?

I would suggest buying an LM7912, they're not expensive.

Yeah, you're going to need two windings. If it's center-tapped it might do it if the rectified, filtered voltage comes out over 12v each side - but even then you are probably going to need low-dropout regulators (the 7812 needs a 3v differential).

Last edited:
The transformer has a single winding and about the current rating im not too sure if there is a way of testing to find out since there is no inscription on it. I'll consider the 7912 option.

The 7912 is no longer an option. You should have taken it when you had the opportunity. Now you must quest to seek the Transformer of Two Windings.

The transformer has a single winding and about the current rating im not too sure if there is a way of testing to find out since there is no inscription on it. I'll consider the 7912 option.

You could use a second transformer for the 7912 or buy a 12Vdc wall wart psu.

Where are you located.?

Last edited:
Unwind half the secondary, tap it off, and rewind, giving you the opportunity to use the 7912 option ;-). Or purchase another transformer, cheapskate ;-).

Half the turns of a 20V transformer is 10V.

The transformer will then not work for both the 7812 and the 7912.

You could do it this way, not very elegant, but its +/-12Vdc

Attachments

• esp04 Dec. 29.gif
    esp04 Dec. 29.gif
    7.1 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
That will certainly work but if significantly more current is drawn from one rail than the other then the transformer's core might saturate and overheat.

Yeah and it's half-wave, but it IS a solution.

Last edited:
It depends on what it's being used to power, if it's a general purpose bench-top PSU then I wouldn't recommend it but if it's being used to power an audio amplifier it's ideal as the current draw is roughly symmetrical.

A rail spliter circuit = virtual ground

If you want a virtual ground PS the perhaps the attached pic will help?

Attachments

• Rail_Splitter.gif
    Rail_Splitter.gif
    6 KB · Views: 333
hi hero,
The definition of STEREO sound comes to mind, also the current drawn from the +V and -V rails will not be symmetrical.:p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back