Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Synchronization

Status
Not open for further replies.

harebosi

Hello I need help Iam designing Two channel digital optical communication system ( simplex). I am using delta modulation scheme and with the multiplex. I have a problem how to synchronize between the clock source between the TX and RX?
Your help please

Hi,

My knowledge of delta modulation is hazy at best. Generally, what ever your modulation scheme, synchronisation is usually performed with a PLL. If I understand the methods correctly, delta modulation is 'similar' to PWM (not quite though), its just a stream of 1's and 0's. So at the begining of a packet/frame, a string of alternating 1's and 0's would yeild a square wave of fixed frequency/phase. When demodulated, that should give a flat signal.

Lock onto that with a PLL (recommend a DPLL for large bandwidth, and accuracy)and it will be the reference clock for the Rx. That would give you the 'bit-rate' so you should be able to generate a sampling clock from it, and therefore, demodulate it. A PLL, if tuned to your bit-rate' probably wouldn't need a syncronisation pattern at all, it would happily pluck the highest frequency from your stream. As long as your Rx knows the datarate of the Tx.

There are alternate methods to a PLL. Some simple logic works wonders with syncronisation, counters, and edge-detectors.

I hope thats what you're after, I'm no expert, can barely remember anything from uni.

Blueteeth

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back