Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Synchronizing Rotary Sparg Gap for Tesla Coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty_47

Good day,

I am building a synchronous rotary spark gap and would like to "phase it" so the gap fires at the peak of the sine wave. I already machined 8" lexan disk. In order to achieve maximum accuracy, I want to use a scope to analyze my SRSG. What device can I use to pick up a pulse every time an electrode passes by it? Would a photo transistor be suitable ?

Thanks

You must have a Synchronous motor. The motor needs to rotate 180 degrees so you can adjust it while the rotor is turning so you can find the peaks. It works but it is too much work and too much $$$ for what you get. There is a better way. If I remember correctly Lexan will get you killed that thing will explode at 3600 RPMs.

You need to build a Variable Speed Vacuum Fan Spark Gap here are some photos of mine.

https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h292/mikeweaver/gap1.jpg

https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h292/mikeweaver/gap2.jpg

https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h292/mikeweaver/gap3.jpg

https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h292/mikeweaver/gaps5.jpg

It can be used from 400 watts to 15,000. watts. You use a variac to adjust the motor speed. As the motor speeds up you can see the output sparks of the Tesla Coil get noticable longer and longer and longer. When the motor reaches a certain speed the sparks output stops getting longer. If you speed the motor up faster the sparks start getting shorter. You can dial in maximum spark length in about 6 or 7 seconds.

This is my 10" Tesla Coil. It makes 12 ft long sparks. The sphere is 3 ft diameter. If I put my TC in the center of the back yard it will produce a 27 ft circle of sparks and arcs in the yard. This is running on about 12KW. Power Transformer is 14,000. Volts secondary, primary is 240 VAC 60 amps.

**broken link removed**

This is several 1000s sparks. **broken link removed**

This is my 4" and 6" tesla coils **broken link removed**

This is the 4", 6" and a tiny little 2" tesla coil. **broken link removed**

More photos. **broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

This is my 6" TC 5 ft sparks form 3 neons. **broken link removed**

This is my 4" TC 24" sparks from 1 neon **broken link removed**

Last edited:
You must have a Synchronous motor. The motor needs to rotate 180 degrees so you can adjust it while the rotor is turning so you can find the peaks. It works but it is too much work and too much $$$ for what you get. There is a better way. If I remember correctly Lexan will get you killed that thing will explode at 3600 RPMs.

Jesus, where in the world did u get a sphere that big?

I already bought synchronous 1800 Rpm motor and plan to use it....

As for lexan exploding, I very much doubt it will happen at 1800 Rpm.

Oh nice coil by the way

Got any pics of the 2" running, gary? Cute lil sucker!

:)

I never took any photos of the 2" TC running. It made some nice sparks from the door knob I used at the top load. Sparks were 3" long and they felt like warm water on the skin. The sparks on this TC rotated around and around like the spokes of a wheel it was very interesting. How is the weather in Phoenix? I lived in Tempe for 6 years when I was in grade school 1958 to 1964. Now that I am retired I plan to spend the winters out there starting next year. I am looking for a place to live.

Last edited:
Jesus, where in the world did u get a sphere that big?

I already bought synchronous 1800 Rpm motor and plan to use it....

As for lexan exploding, I very much doubt it will happen at 1800 Rpm.

Oh nice coil by the way

Go to the Tesla Coil forum and talk to the guys about Lexan. I am pretty sure they will tell you to use a fiber reinforced material. The group will tell you the correct material to use and where to buy it. Some of the guys have used rotors for sale. You will receive lots of good help from the TC forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back