Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

tachometer - ignition coil interfacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

evandude

I know the tachometer question has been asked a million times, but I don't need help building a circuit for interpreting a conditioned input signal and displaying RPM's, which is what most of the threads were about when I did a search.

I just want to know a little about interfacing a circuit with the ignition coil in my car. I heard the typical way is the negative terminal. The question I have is what kind of signal am I going to see there?
what kind of voltage is going to be present? how noisy is it? is it going to look somewhat like a square wave (if a bit messy)?
Basically I just need to know a little about it so I can build a simple circuit to interface that signal with a PIC. Obviously I don't want my PIC directly connected to it if it's putting out hundreds or thousands of volts. I can't get to my car with an oscilloscope, so I just want a starting point for a prototype circuit to try out on it.

would a resistor voltage divider, some caps to smooth out the signal, and a comparator be sufficient?

or how about a large-value resistor in series with the input, and a reverse-biased zener (5v or so?) to ground, with some caps thrown in for good measure?

thanks

I would use the signal from the coil. It is basicly a 12 volt rectangular (not square) wave with 300 volt spikes. A low pass filter with large series resistor and zener diode load will protect the PIC.

On the digital rev counters used for racing karts, a wire is wound 2-3 times around the HT wire (the one going to the spark plug) to form a crude potential transformer. I suppose the signal is then amplified via an op-amp and fed to the micro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back