Taking apart an oscilloscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

zodish

I post this in another forum but got less than an enthusiastic response, so I figured I would try here.

I found an old Heathkit oscilloscope that I am turning into a computer case, but all the guts are still in there. It was recently turned on (About 6 months ago) so I know it works at least some what, but I am not sure if it is actually functioning as I, and the person I got the scope from, knows nothing about them.

Anyway, I am about to start disassembly on it, i.e. taking all the guts out, and am wanting to see if there are any major safety concerns, especially those associated with capacitors holding a charge or something that is going to blow my hand off when I am gutting it.

This thing is old, it's full of vacuum tubes everywhere and what appear to be some rather large capacitors. It also has a CRT in it, which if I understand correctly can give me quite a shocking experience.

What little information I got on the other forum was someone telling me to discharge the CRT before I started in, which I figured out how to do but am hung up on the fact the wire that goes to the anode is not under a suction-cup type thing, it's more of a foam cap or something.

I am not trying to salvage anything off this thing other than the case and the knobs. I'm considering popping the CRT with a BB gun from 100ft away or so to just take care of the CRT issue all together, but that's last ditch effort.

Does anyone have any helpful hints to get this thing taken apart without me shocking myself too badly?

If this thing hasn't been powered for 6 months I doubt you have anything to worry about. If you have concerns rather than at the CRT you should be able to discharge the anode lead at the HV cage where it originates. Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

Thinking back to those old cases I can't really see how it would make a good candidate for computer case modding 101 but your call on that. There is actually a demand for those old Heath Kit and Knight Kit items. Especially working versions.

Ron

You might be able to sell it on Ebay for enough to buy a real computer case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…