Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

tant cap - postive terminal, which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
Tantalium cap 2.2 uF 16V.

As you see it in the picture, which is the terminal going to positive? Left or right?

Have a big lot, all of them marked like that.

My guess would be that the right one has a 50% chance of being the + terminal. Apply 16V and if it doesn't pop, the probability goes up to >90%, and so forth.

If you have a large lot of these creatures, what is ±1 more or less?

John

Edit: Actually, you don't need the full 16V to pop it. 12V should be more than enough. A reverse-connected tantalum can die with great panache.

Last edited:
Apply 16V and if it doesn't pop, the probability goes up to >90%, and so forth.
I see from the pic that you've wisely got it in a saucepan already, obviously expecting the pop ;).
Is there no tiny + mark? (might need a magnifier to see it).

Hola alec,

Immediately after the 6 there is the + sign.

When I read your post I started to laugh. It is not a saucepan but a ...magnifier. I use it for soldering...and for the pictures. Struggled for years to keep them close the camera on a steady / convenient position.

John,

Just in case I will test it with the bent lead to +12V.

Learnt a new word today: "panache". Gracias.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back