Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tapelight RGB - Pwm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spadez

Hi,

Sorry for all the questions, this is one of the only days I've had free to work on my project.

I've found something called led tapelight, sometimes called rgb striplight. I was wondering if anyone knows if these LEDs could be controlled with a MOSFET pwm setup like a luxeon for example. I've heard somewhere that Tapelight has specific requirements, like constant current drivers, and I'm not sure if that would be any different from normal rgb LEDs.

James

A little bump for this. The stuff is also called "striplight".

Here is a picture of what I mean:
**broken link removed**

The striplight has nothing special except it might have matched LEDs in parallel or might have a few matched LEDs in series then these strings are in parallel.
If you know the voltage and current required then you can dim them with PWM.

Great!

I know the requirment of voltage and current:

12V
400ma

What I dont know however is I think I read somewhere that these strips require constant current. Is this correct? Will a PWM and mosfet setup allow me to do this or will I need additional components to ensure the current remains level throughout PWM?

We don't know if the LED-strips have built-in resistors to limit the max current.

An ordinary PWM circuit applies as much current as the power supply can deliver to a DC motor or an incandescent light bulb. It will burn out LEDs unless you limit the max current with a resistor or with a constant current source.

An ordinary wall-wart power supply does not limit the current to its rated current.

The tapelight does have resistors on it, however I have been told that it is neccessary to limit the current to ensure I dont blow the LEDs.

I am using a laptop power supply with a voltage regulator. Is it correct that I need to also build into my circuit a current regulator with the PWM to stop the LEDs drawing too much current?

If the strip-LEDs have current-limiting resistors and are spec'd to use a 12V supply then use a 12V supply and their current should be 400mA.
Then use a PWM circuit that has a max 12V output (its input probably needs to be higher than 12V) to dim the LEDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back