Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

teamspeak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambient

I use teamspeak for communicating with fellow clanmembers for online games. Its a great VOIP program, better than ventrillo in my opinion. It would be really cool if this site hosted one so that we could all chat about electronics in person, as well as in the forums. Its free if used for non-profit I believe. Anyone can host a server for it, it just takes a little work to get it set up.

Its free and availiable at www.goteamspeak.com
anyone here use teamspeak already?

Ambient said:
I use teamspeak for communicating with fellow clanmembers for online games. Its a great VOIP program, better than ventrillo in my opinion. It would be really cool if this site hosted one so that we could all chat about electronics in person, as well as in the forums. Its free if used for non-profit I believe. Anyone can host a server for it, it just takes a little work to get it set up.

Its free and availiable at www.goteamspeak.com
anyone here use teamspeak already?
Terrible idea. I appreciate the anonymity and the discipline of the written word.

I also don't think it'd be a great idea. Personally, I prefer written words over speaking on a phone or VOIP conference, because it lets you clarify what you mean without babbling too much... But even with that aside, think of how many members of this forum don't speak english well, and how much worse that would be if we were all speaking instead of typing, where they can at least take their time...

Also, though there are a fair number of us in the US and surrounding areas, the forum is very international, and with time zone differences a lot of people would probably miss out. Granted, those in far-away time zones are probably many of the same ones who don't speak english well anyway, but still...

I'd also worry about 'momentum'... since I imagine many people do what I do, and just drop in, scan for threads, post a bit, and then leave, I'd worry if we'd be able to have enough people online at any one time to actually hold a voice chat, unless the voice chats were scheduled for a certain time in advance.

And, I'm not so sure how suitable the subject matter is to voice chat. A game is one thing, but I can't imagine speaking about a technical topic like electronics without writing or schematics, much like I could imagine an english lecture without writing on the board, but I couldn't imagine an engineering or physics lecture without it.

Last edited:
while this idea sounds kind of fun... two issues I see

1) Sometimes it is tough to decipher someones _written_ conversion.. I shudder at the thought of trying to understand their voice through a low-fi audio system.

2) I think too much processing over-head will bog the whole system down.

Otherwise, sounds cool but I wouldn't be interested enough to invest in a headset.

I don't like voice chat idea, but I do think it would be fun to have a text chat room of some type. Not for asking questions, but for general conversation.
I agree with what has been said before about posting questions in the open forum for everyone to see and learn from, but it would be kind of fun to be able to chat real time about whatever.

I kinda miss chatrooms. Not that I don't get out in real life, but I can remember back in the early 90's, when my folks bought our first computer, being able to go into the AOL chatrooms an actually talk to a real person. It was kinda fun. Now I don't dare go near any, all they are full of are bots and spam for "adult" sites.

Andy1845c said:
Now I don't dare go near any, all they are full of are bots and spam for "adult" sites.
which is probably what would happen if we had an unmoderated chat room as well ;)

But yeah, a chat room would be nice. There are questions that deserve full-fledged discussion threads, but simpler questions that only require a quick, one-liner type answer could probably be handled just as well in a chat room, reducing the number of less useful threads that are posted on the forum, and thus reducing forum clutter. In theory of course ;)

evandude said:
which is probably what would happen if we had an unmoderated chat room as well ;)

Naww, we've got Nigel to moderate. He knows Ju Jitsu. No one will mess with him;)

Seriously, are there any chatrooms that would work with this board? Allowing only us registered users to use it? Mabey also only allowing members with a few posts on the board to use it. That would help keep people from registering just to spam the chatroom or try to get answers for homework.

Last edited:
Andy1845c said:
Naww, we've got Nigel to moderate. He knows Ju Jitsu. No one will mess with him;)

Seriously, are there any chatrooms that would work with this board? Allowing only us registered users to use it? Mabey also only allowing members with a few posts on the board to use it. That would help keep people from registering just to spam the chatroom or try to get answers for homework.

The idea of a chatroom has been discussed many times, the overwhelming response has been against it! - it's generally only the youngsters who are for it!.

The problem with these VOIP programs (Vent,TS) is the people chatting.
Think abt how you chat in person? normally one person will talk and then someone else will...

Problem is when people butt in (which in itself isn't a prob) - people normally cut you off mid-sentance BUT also have some visual indication (be it hand movements and such) this makes it easy to see
Also if some1 starts talking and then another starts, between head,hand and verbal very quickly a decision on who to speak arrises.

With VOIP the visual aspect no longer exists and thus it can be really hard to follow conversation's when more then two people are connected.

I use Teamspeak in the gaming clan I am in. IT works very well when we speak short sentances (like enemy here, going there, need ammo...), it breaks down when general chatter creaps in

I prefer threads posting than voice chatting. Due to several reasons

*Language Problems
*Limited Replies
*Audio Quality
*Slow Downing the Net Speed
*In the end sometimes it can come up to an Arguing Conversation.

You are missing others guys SUPER TECHNIQUES when you are doing it privately.

What ever you WRITE it’s SAVING in the MIND VERY WELL than listening or speaking.
If you write a thread you will gain more points like
Improving Typing speed, Writing Skills, English knowledge, More Replies etc…..

Voice Chat is good to speak with GIRLFRIEND :rolleyes: not for forums like this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back