Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tektronix 5440 main frame question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bismark99

I was given a Tektronix 5440 main frame and two 5A48 inputs and a 5B40 time base.

The immediate problem is the power cord is snipped off right at the frame. I would like to wire in a new one and would like to be sure how to do it.

There is a blue wire that goes to the main switch and a brown wire that goes to the fuse. I would think the power would go through the fuse first.

Can anyone guide me on the correct POWER, NEUTRAL, and GROUND wire connections?

Also does anybody know of a cheap (free maybe) service manual for these units?

Thanks in advance.
Steve.

Hi Steve,

The manuals for the plug-ins are on the Bama site, the main frame
seems to be a bit of a problem. However there is a manual for a
TEK5441 mainframe, maybe it's close enough for what you need ?

**broken link removed**

on1aag.

bismark99 said:
I was given a Tektronix 5440 main frame and two 5A48 inputs and a 5B40 time base.

The immediate problem is the power cord is snipped off right at the frame. I would like to wire in a new one and would like to be sure how to do it.

There is a blue wire that goes to the main switch and a brown wire that goes to the fuse. I would think the power would go through the fuse first.

Can anyone guide me on the correct POWER, NEUTRAL, and GROUND wire connections?

Also does anybody know of a cheap (free maybe) service manual for these units?

Thanks in advance.
Steve.

The color code that is standard in many countries (Europe, South America) is:

Live: Brown
Neutral: Blue
Ground: Green with yellow stripes

If the power cord has theese colors it is likely that it follows the same standard

But check first that the "ground" wire is the one that is connected to the chassis, as there is allways the possibility of a non standard color use by a "creative" :confused: repairman in some previous cord change :eek:

If the equipment is double isolated then the power cord should have only 2 wires (brown and blue)

Tektronix 550 main frame

That is exactly the color schem and the green/yellow wire is attached directly to the case. I have been looking at the 5110 and 5441 main frame schematics from the website given above, and Tek switches both the brown and blue wire at the same time with the same switch. I imagine this is for the purpose of completely killing 220v when it is configured that way.

Thanks to you both. Your time to answer has helped a lot.

Steve.

bismark99 Tek switches both the brown and blue wire at the same time with the same switch. I imagine this is for the purpose of completely killing 220v when it is configured that way. [/quote said:
That is the way all good equipment is made, that way you have complete isolation from the mains supply.

JimB

I also have a Tek 5440 mainframe, but without any plug-ins [only CRT and power supply elements]. It at least has beam and scale functions & assume that it may work. Also have a more beat up CRT element. Would part with all for a really good price, if someone wants.

So, what do I need? - I desire a [free] schematic for the power supply element. Specifically, I wish to know the voltages/signals at the edge card connectors where the plug-in modules are inserted. Can anyone help with this?? The **broken link removed** site listed by on1aag no longer appears to be active.

Best regards - Steve

Both leads are switched probably because of the mains in the US which are labeled L1, L2 and Gnd because of our split-phase power.

KISS - thanks for the response, but I wish to know the voltages/signals at the edge card connectors where the plug-in modules are inserted. Can anyone help with this?? The **broken link removed** site listed by on1aag no longer appears to be active.

I'm not sure what you were replying to... I am not interested in the power cord.

Regards - Steve

I'm not sure what you were replying to... I am not interested in the power cord.

And so we see the problem with re-cycled threads.

The original post from four years ago (nearly) was about the mains lead on the scope.
You resurected the thread by asking about connectors and manuals.

KISS replied to the original post, oblivious to the fact that it was a long dead question.

Result: confusion.

Back on (current) topic:
I have a CD with a load of Tek schematics, but it does not have the schematic of a 5440.
Not very helpfull, but that is the way it goes sometimes.

JimB

JimB,

What you say is true, I stayed with the "Tektronix 5440 main frame question" that bismark99 began, rather than starting an entirely new discussion on what I thought would be the same [main frame question] topic ...

Sorry for the confusion, however, it would appear prudent to read the posting that one responds to.

Thank-you for looking into your CD. Would you possibly have any schematics on any of the plug-ins available for this unit? I could get there from that direction as well.

Steve

SteveCr

Sorry for the delay, but for some reason I missed your reply.

I have had a look and I dont have any info on the plug-ins either.

JimB

I probably have the 5440 on microfiche but it's almost impossible to print pages as the screen shows only parts of pages at a time. The 5441 is a bistable storage version of the 5440 mainframe. You can use both 5B1x and 5A1x plug-ins i the 54xx mainframes but you can't use 5A4x or 5B4x plug-ins in the 51xx mainframes.

JimB - Dean, Thank-you for your efforts. I will see if I can obtain schematics for the 5B1X and 5A1x plug-ins that Dean suggests.

steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back