Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Temperatur sensor for CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

oyvindne

I have been searching around for a temperatur sensor that i can use to measure the CPU temperatur of my computer. I want something similar to the temperatur sensors/probes that comes with fan controllers like the pruduct in this link: **broken link removed** .

I have searched the farnell site without finding anything like this. I have found alot of thermistors and temperatur sensitive resistors of diffrent kinds, but they are all alot bigger. If anybody know where i can get some sensors that looks about the same as the ones in the link it whould be great.

The reason i need some of these is because i want to build my own fan controller with an AVR ATmega :mu:controller. Maybe with a display and stuff, we will see. If its sucsessfull i might post it here ;)

Attaching your own temperature sensor to your CPU is a BAD idea, you're gonna end up frying your computer on accident. Look into perhaps tapping into the I2C bus which motherboards use for their various temperature control sensors, all modern computers contain temperature sensors built into the die. Or perhaps downloading Speedfan software (free) which can control any fans with feedback sensors attached to your motherboard depending on conditions which you can set.

I have since rectified the reason for needing a running task on my computer to control my system fans (the case is now properly ventilated outside of the hutch it's in) I had a bad situation a few months ago when I got it and first put it in the hutch and left the doors closed. There's an automatic wakeup function for starting my capture cards 'tivo' feature which kicked in during the summer when I wasn't home before the back of the hutch was ventilated. I honestly don't know how the machine survived it, the entire case was too hot to touch for more than 5 seconds. It had come out of standby and started recording and encoding MPEG video, not exactly a low priority process =) Crashed at peak utilization and gotten stuck there without reseting. Even with speedfan running my machine was still overheating and I couldn't figure out why, till I finally looked at the back of the hutch and realized the power supply exaust fan was 3/4's covered when the PC was centered. I cut an extra 2 inch slot down the entire back to let all the cables out and give the supply some space to breathe and the machine's temperature is rock solid stable with only a 2 degree temperature shift when it's at full capacity (it's overclocked anyways so it generates twice a normal machines heat when idle)

Last edited:
Sceadwian said:
Attaching your own temperature sensor to your CPU is a BAD idea, you're gonna end up frying your computer on accident.

Hehe, don't worry, i dont plan on frying anything. It's actually alot harder to kill a CPU than people think. Once i attached my CPU fan so it didn't work properly, and the computer didnt die, it just turned itself off when it got hot. And when i fixed the fan, it worked perfectly again. :)

Back to my problem... I know that it is a thermistor installed under my CPU (old AMD socket A), but it doesnt take i rocketscientist to figure out that a temperature measurement under a CPU cant be very accurrate. Thats why every fan-controller sets on the market ship with their own temperatur sensors to attatch to the CPU. So i ask again... anybody know where i can buy a sensor like that...?

Sorry I don’t know any place to buy that sensors.
I have an AMD Athlon XP 1600+ processor .It came with a master cooler. Here it is.
**broken link removed**
This is my 4th year continuously working with this processor. No more problems occurred yet.
Idle temperature 48 C
Maximum temperature when running 3D applications 58 C.
My software shows the temperatures. I don’t know whether it’s accurate or not.
I have only an exhaust fan inside the casing.

hi,
If you are planning to design and build your own tempr sensor [ 3 channel]

The National Semiconductor LM35 device would be a good tempr sensor, they cover a range +2 to +150 degC. They are inexpensive and small in size and they can mounted many inches away from the controller.

You could use a PIC with an inbuilt ADC that would give you a tempr resolution of around +/- 0.5degC

Get the datasheet.

I think i have found what i'm looking for, just too bad it was abit more expencive than i had hoped for. But i guess thats fair enough. If any has any comments on this product feel free to post it, i wont order anything before after easter.

https://no.farnell.com/jsp/Industri...ACILITY/DM-507/displayProduct.jsp?sku=7745655

this is a small temperature sensitive resistor, and it's 36NOK which is $5.90. So as i said, it's not that cheap, but i think it will ge the job done. The reason for the price is probably because its made using platinum....

If my project works out, i might post is somewhere in this forum :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back