Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Temperature Register

Status
Not open for further replies.

mabauti

I want to start making a temperature register with these specifications:

* Temperature range -10 celsius to 50 celsius
* register a Temperature sample every 10 minutes during 2 weeks and then send the stored samples to a PC in order to organize, massive storing and present the data
* Using a Pic 16F84 or a similar PIC

has been this project already made?

I'll appreciate your comments gentlemen. :)

How do you plan to send the samples to PC? Wirelessly? Or someone to come and retrieve the dat?

How do you plan to send the samples to PC? Wirelessly? Or someone to come and retrieve the dat?
serial port interfacing (may be someone can clarify this to me)

I am a newbe to PICs but I don't think the 16F84 has room to store 2016 bytes of data.
I'm planning to use an external ram/eeprom

I'll ask again : has been this project already made?

If you mean in the world, yes they are called data recorders and such used by weather-tracking people in the field.

If you mean by anyone here, not that I know of, but proably many similar things have been built.

mabauti said:
serial port interfacing (may be someone can clarify this to me)

I'm planning to use an external ram/eeprom

I'll ask again : has been this project already made?

Yes, it's a VERY common application, and quite simple to do, you may find my tutorials helpful - depending how you plan measuring the temperature (I don't have any specific temperature tutorial).

Standard method for a data recorder would be to read analogue inputs (covered in tutorials), store it in EEPROM (covered in tutorials), and then transfer it via RS2s2 (covered in tutorials). If you use a thermistor them you just need to convert it to a suitable analogue voltage - however, there are some VERY nice LM series IC's, one gives an analogue output, so many mV per degree, and linear! - another gives a direct digital readout of the temperature.

Mabauti,

See the joystick tutorial as well for reading the termistor. Works well. Of course you will need to setup the serial port and write a routine to dump the byte out to your PC program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back