Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tesla Coil Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty_47

Dear Ladies and Germs,

My friend and I want to finish building a Tesla coil. The primary coil along with the spark switch is already completed. The problem I am facing rite now is the lack of sources for magnet wire. No stores near me sell long enough 24 AWG magnet wire. Does anyone know of any good sources where I can get large spools of 24 AWG magnet wire? Thanks

P.S. I am not interested in the small 10lb spools :)

My Newark catalog has magnet wire, but by length. 24 ga. goes for $68.25/793'. If you can go down to 28 ga., then it's $76.44/3140'.

Pretty steep prices for copper.

P.S. Sure that quote isn't from one of the Bushs?

how much copper are we taling about here?

j.p.bill said:
My Newark catalog has magnet wire, but by length. 24 ga. goes for $68.25/793'. If you can go down to 28 ga., then it's $76.44/3140'.

Pretty steep prices for copper.

P.S. Sure that quote isn't from one of the Bushs?

So where can I find this catalog ? Or the manufacturer...

Thanks a lot for your reply...

According to my wire table, 10 lbs of AWG 24 solid copper wire is 8177 ft long. I don't think that includes insulation. Still, it would have to be around 8000 ft. You apparently need lots more than this.:eek:

eBay.
You probably want a complete spool. I don't think Tesla coils will react well to splices in the secondary. Corona and arcing will result if they're high up in the sec.

Search the net. I forget the place but I googled it till I found a place that sent me plenty of wire for around $10 + shipping. Here's a few pics from when I first put it together.

You can see my spool of wire in here

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Malcolm

Wow very nice work :eek: Should be a real hair raising experiance when you fire that puppy up.

Lefty

I tried to make a video once. Not the greatest by any means but it gives you an idea.

**broken link removed**

Sparks are generally around 3 to 4 foot long.

Malcolm

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back