Tesla Coil Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty_47

Dear Ladies and Germs,

My friend and I want to finish building a Tesla coil. The primary coil along with the spark switch is already completed. The problem I am facing rite now is the lack of sources for magnet wire. No stores near me sell long enough 24 AWG magnet wire. Does anyone know of any good sources where I can get large spools of 24 AWG magnet wire? Thanks

P.S. I am not interested in the small 10lb spools

My Newark catalog has magnet wire, but by length. 24 ga. goes for $68.25/793'. If you can go down to 28 ga., then it's $76.44/3140'.

Pretty steep prices for copper.

P.S. Sure that quote isn't from one of the Bushs?

j.p.bill said:
My Newark catalog has magnet wire, but by length. 24 ga. goes for $68.25/793'. If you can go down to 28 ga., then it's $76.44/3140'.

Pretty steep prices for copper.

P.S. Sure that quote isn't from one of the Bushs?

So where can I find this catalog ? Or the manufacturer...

Thanks a lot for your reply...

According to my wire table, 10 lbs of AWG 24 solid copper wire is 8177 ft long. I don't think that includes insulation. Still, it would have to be around 8000 ft. You apparently need lots more than this.

eBay.
You probably want a complete spool. I don't think Tesla coils will react well to splices in the secondary. Corona and arcing will result if they're high up in the sec.

Search the net. I forget the place but I googled it till I found a place that sent me plenty of wire for around $10 + shipping. Here's a few pics from when I first put it together.

You can see my spool of wire in here

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Malcolm

I tried to make a video once. Not the greatest by any means but it gives you an idea.

**broken link removed**

Sparks are generally around 3 to 4 foot long.

Malcolm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…