Tesla Coil, Not a good first project

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many peeps want to run before they can walk. But this fellow shows pretty much how to build a 1,000,000V tesla coil.

http://hackedgadgets.com/2006/07/24/tesla-coil-overview/

So if you don't know anything about high voltage...

I can never get over the "first post" peeps that don't know even the basics wanting to build the most complex projects as their first project.
Advice:
  1. start with a kit, if you can't get a a simple electronics kit working your not going to get far on your own.
  2. Search the net (google is an amazing tool)
  3. These forums, try to narrow down your question.
  4. Don't ask mstecha

He made his own lightning. I wonder how many circuits blew out before he made this one.

Obviously he is quite capable and knows what he is doing, but did anyone else notice that on his schematic he spelled "safety" wrong. I just found it quite funny given the context.

I bet there has been all manner of non-reversable electrical havoc in that garage.

Yeah, a tesla coil isnt a good idea for a first project...I admit though, I had thoughts of building one when I first started. I finally decided to build one 5 years later. They arent all that complicated, just somewhat expensive.

this guy gave me ~16" sparks, but it was poorly tuned. (and poorly built)
**broken link removed**

I'm currently working on a solid-state model using this 'tiny' igbt.
**broken link removed**

Thats just a test setup there. This will be the new secondary. (thats 12" in diameter in case you are wondering)
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…