Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Test Leads Not Connecting to DMM

Status
Not open for further replies.

eversio11

Hello,

I recently purchased a set of test leads from Radioshack (#278-1158). However, trying a simple test like voltage of a 9v battery, I cannot get any reading on either of my DMMs. I guess the banana plugs aren't making contact with the female ends of the DMMs. I did notice a red cap (not the protective one, a small cap inside the safety shroud) on the end of the plugs, but I couldn't manage to remove them even with a pair of needlenose pliers.

Has anyone had this issue with other test leads, or this specific product? Are the caps supposed to be removed and I'm just having a heck of a time with them? My other sets of leads have protective caps but once removed the banana plugs are just bare and make fine connections. My next step is to cut away the safety shroud and see what's going on, but that could potentially ruin the sturdy connection with a DMM port.

Much thanks in advance for any advice.

Don't buy overpriced cheap Chinese RadioShack junk.
Instead you should buy the proper test leads from the manufacturer of your meter.
I hope it is not an overpriced cheap Chinese RadioShack meter.

The caps should pull right off... Could you take a photo of what you're talking about as it doesn't make much sense. Radioshack does overprice their stuff but their test leads are of moderate quality.

There are two different size plugs, normal banana (with and without shroud) and the smaller diameter ones that always have the protective plastic shroud.

Or you might have accidentially blown the 1/2 amp meter fuse. Look in battery compartment for fuse.

Last edited:
I have standard banana plugs that have a shroud, same size. The shrouded connectors sometimes don't fit in the standard Banana jacks but that's not a connector problem it's cause the housing wasn't meant to fit the shroud itself, not the connector.

I decided to bite the bullet and cut back the safety shroud, about halfway. This resulted in much better (or any) contact with the female ports on the DMM and I was able to get readings. I'm not sure if it was the diameter or the length of the shroud that wasn't allowing the connection, but it's a nice snug fit now.

@ Audioguru, I don't think your assessment of this product is fair or necessary. First, if you've worked with or owned this particular product you could have offered more insightful advice. Second, I wasn't asking whether or not I should buy this product, I already had, so telling me "not to buy RS junk" really isn't very helpful. As it turns out, the set is actually of very good quality. Much sturdier than the leads that were provided with my DMMs. Maybe Flukes come with nice leads, but I find this particular RS product indispensable for cheaper DMMs.

EDIT: @Sceadwian & RCinFla, I'll take some pics tonight to give you a better understanding.

Last edited:
RadioShack is gone from Canada because people stopped buying their inferior overpriced items.
The leads on my Fluke DMM are 15 years old and still work fine.

RadioShack is gone from Canada because people stopped buying their inferior overpriced items.
The leads on my Fluke DMM are 15 years old and still work fine.
Well, congratulations on owning a professional grade multimeter. If you had bothered to read what I said, I agreed that Fluke probably had higher quality leads, but for us plebeians that only have entry-level DMMs, this particular RS product was actually very good.

I usually don't respond to shallow internet issues such as an annoying forum member, but you have literally tainted my day and my whole experience with this forum. I thought I had found a decent place to discuss electronics, but instead I find pathetic members that are more interested in rambling about their own jaded world-views. What, 20,000 posts and you've exhausted anything intelligible you have to say? "Screw RS, praise Canada" seems to be the only thing you want to post about.

That's nice audioguru, I still have radioshack meter leads that old that work fine as well. I'm not defending Radioshack, but you have no idea what's going on in this situation, neither do I, and simply slamming a brand name will help no one anywhere with anything.

eversio don't bother with pictures from what you've said so far, I agree it's probably a difference on the inner or outer diameter of the shroud. Could be the fault of the leads or the meter itself maker themself, who knows, I'm not even sure if there are standards for the diameters on the shroud leads and the maker of either may simply be designing for the voltage rating the leads are rated for on the devices they were designed for. I'd only be upset if the meter leads you bought were specifically designed for the meter you had.

I have cut shrounds off a set of good leads once to plug into generic banana jacks that weren't mean to be used with shrouds in the first place, near as I can tell there are no standards for the shroud itself.

Last edited:
In this thread I recommended buying the proper test leads from the meter's manufacturer without knowing the brand. Then this problem with fit would not occur.

When my boss saw my Fluke meter he went and bought a cheaper RadioShack one. It lasted one week. Its function switch fell to pieces.

Not everything at RadioShack was overpriced poor quality. I still have two pairs of speakers (made in Malaysia and Korea) that I bought in a clearance sale for a good price and they are fine.

I think Radioshack parts were overpriced "seconds".

@ eversio11

The problem you had is not at all uncommon. This page shows a few typical DMMs. The little blue Omegaette will not accept standard shrouded banana plugs. Because the shroud diameter is slightly wide it will not quite fit into the recess additionally the ends of the shrouds have the banana pins recessed a good 1/4" and the socket contacts on the meter are recessed pretty deep. The meter will not accept a set of standard TL-75 Fluke leads or for that matter any of the other shrouded leads lying around here. The only simple solution is to cut the shrouds back as you have done.

Next as to DMMs in general people generally buy a DMM for its intended application. If you notice in the link the meter used to measure some home computer power supply voltages was the little Omegaette which has a stunning value of about $30, not quite the value of the meters it is pictured with. However, for the intended application it does just fine.

Shrouded safety leads can be a problem with not just older DMMs but countless pieces of test equipment that have banana sockets for test leads.

As to lead quality and durability I have a set of Fluke leads here, the ones that cost about $30 a set and the black lead failed. There is a conductor separation right where the lead exits the probe body. Really had me going till I figured out that the lead had failed the way it did. Now it is intermittent and eventually I guess I should cut back the probe body and fix it. Point being even good stuff can fail and these leads have not seen harsh use.

Ron

Well, congratulations on owning a professional grade multimeter. If you had bothered to read what I said, I agreed that Fluke probably had higher quality leads, but for us plebeians that only have entry-level DMMs, this particular RS product was actually very good.

I usually don't respond to shallow internet issues such as an annoying forum member, but you have literally tainted my day and my whole experience with this forum. I thought I had found a decent place to discuss electronics, but instead I find pathetic members that are more interested in rambling about their own jaded world-views. What, 20,000 posts and you've exhausted anything intelligible you have to say? "Screw RS, praise Canada" seems to be the only thing you want to post about.

Audioguru is just grouchy because its cold, and the moose keep leaving him a special 'gift' in on the front lawn (ice sheet?). He does give great advice from time to time, and have to agree with him on Radio Shack price and quality. They probably do get some decent stuff occasionally, and you might get a reasonable "sales" price sometimes, but you are generally much better off shopping elsewhere. Been about 10 years or so, since my last visit to Radio Shack, lots of Cellphones, not much on parts, and if I hadn't been in such a desperate hurry... Anyway, his posts might be a little rough (but consider where he lives), but he tells it like it is.

Guess what?
Way up here in Canada today many robins appeared flying and crapping all over the place. Before the middle of usually freezing February!
The squirrels are drinking the sap from my maple tree and are "doing it".
And we see the many feet of snow in Washington DC that is warmer and many miles south of us.
I think Florida and Texas have more snow than here.
I got a new high-efficiency furnace that was barely turned on this winter.
Global warming? Maybe.

Snow? Not here. The grass is beginning to turn green again. The trees have buds. Usually in April.

My many solar garden lights are also waking up. They are all glowing well into the night.
I replaced the garbage Chinese Ni-Cad battery in one to a modern name brand Ni-MH cell and it still glows in the early mornings.

Here in the USA, I have purchased many items from RS (solderless breadboards, mini-boards, battery clips, diodes, voltage regulators, fuses and holders, switches, LED's, DTV converter box, the list goes on) and never had a problem with quality. They might be priced higher than Jameco, Mouser and/or Digikey, but they are local so you don't have to wait a week or pay for shipping.

My main problem with RS has been that too often the item is out of stock. But the sales people have always volunteered to call another store to see if they have it.

creakndale

Their prices are horribles creak, though I do still occasionally purchase stuff from there. I like some of the banana jacks they carry.

Here in the USA, I have purchased many items from RS (solderless breadboards, mini-boards, battery clips, diodes, voltage regulators, fuses and holders, switches, LED's, DTV converter box, the list goes on) and never had a problem with quality. They might be priced higher than Jameco, Mouser and/or Digikey, but they are local so you don't have to wait a week or pay for shipping.

My main problem with RS has been that too often the item is out of stock. But the sales people have always volunteered to call another store to see if they have it.

creakndale

Same here. I got a ton of stuff from RS that's been completely servicable for years. Prices are not all that bad, and it's nice to know I can stop by and pick up components I need when I need them. Most other parts houses have closed down, I guess because not many people build their own projects anymore.

The last surplus electronics store in my area closed down last year, and I live in a moderatly sized city. I haven't been able to find anything else close by. Thankfully I can get pretty much anything I need through online suppliers. By the way, radioshacks prices ARE that bad, their solderless breadboards can be found online for 1/2 to 1/3 of the price for the SAME breadboard, and cheaper for some. Their wire prices are absurd, their IC prices have at least a 200% markup. That being said you're right there is something to be said for being able to walk into a store fish around for what you want take a look at it and buy it if you want. One thing I always hated was buying connectors online because even with good technical drawings you really just don't know what the look and feel is going to be like without seeing and holding one in your hand.

I bought a 12' S-video cable for $15.00 at RadioShack. Then I saw exactly the same one (same Chinese manufacturer and wrapper) at The Dollar Store for $1.00. I bought the cheap one and returned it to RadioShack for a $15.00 plus tax refund.

I bought a 12' S-video cable for $15.00 at RadioShack. Then I saw exactly the same one (same Chinese manufacturer and wrapper) at The Dollar Store for $1.00. I bought the cheap one and returned it to RadioShack for a $15.00 plus tax refund.

Damnit, down here in the US if I buy something and return it I don't get the tax back unless.... I want to complete a state form at the end of the year and try to recoup my taxes. I buy a $15.00 cable where I live (Cuyahoga County, Ohio) and I pay $16.28. If I return it I get my $15 bucks back. That is true of Ohio anyway.

Ron

Last edited:
^- Not in Alabama. When I return something, I get back the tax I paid. RS prices aren't really all that bad. All of the claims made about finding items cheaper online can be made of any retail store. For example, I found the identical SATA cable that sold for $25 at Best Buys online for $9. So what? That's always going to be the case. A better price comparison would be to compare the prices to other retail stores, and RS has always been pretty competative, back when there used to be other retail stores. One wonders how RS has survived, especially considering that techno-geeks are very internet savy and buy most of thier stuff online at wholesale or surplus prices. I think they've managed to do it be selling unique products to the less tech savy population, and just keeping a small part of the geek business. At the local store, they found a creative way to sell small electronic parts without taking up too much of the store area. I usally go out of my way to build my projects with common parts and IC's, so I can always pick us anything I need when I need it, or pick it out of my stock ( or rob from another project )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back