Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Testing O2 sensor for the car engine

starLED

I have the BOSCH - 0 258 986 602 O2 sensor for the car engine which I want to test without installing it in the car to see if it's working properly.
1727049291763.png

Now, there is a way to test it as described in the video
How To Test Heated Oxygen Sensors(O2 Sensors) Without A Propane Torch

I don't have a power supply, so I want to use AC-DC adapter 12V 2A as a power supply.

1727049036869.png

What I need is an advice how to connect sensor wires to the adapter jack without stripping the wires of adapter.
Does someone have a practical idea?

I have the BOSCH - 0 258 986 602 O2 sensor for the car engine which I want to test without installing it in the car to see if it's working properly.
View attachment 147158
Now, there is a way to test it as described in the video
How To Test Heated Oxygen Sensors(O2 Sensors) Without A Propane Torch

I don't have a power supply, so I want to use AC-DC adapter 12V 2A as a power supply.

View attachment 147157

What I need is an advice how to connect sensor wires to the adapter jack without stripping the wires of adapter.
Does someone have a practical idea?

Fairly obviously, just buy a matching socket, and solder wires to it.

I tested the sensor, and it seems that it works fine.
Sensor gets hot when connected to 12V, indicating the heater is working.
After a couple of minutes, signal was stable at 4 mV.
In YT video the candle was used to test the signal when oxygen was low.
I tested the other way around, I blow air to the sensor supplying it with more oxygen, and signal was getting lower to 1 mV as it should, and coming back on to 4 mV.
So, my opinion is that the sensor is ok, but will have to check when installed in car.

Only thing that I am confused is, why is the sensor ground wire grey?
There are 4 wires, two white and one black and one grey.
Two white wires are heater wires, and black and grey are signal.
I expected the black wire to be the ground wire.

Last edited:

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back