Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

the 'A'

Status
Not open for further replies.

YAN-1

Hi. I was just wondering what extra features a PIC has when it is labeled as 'A'?
For example, what would the 16F877A have that the 16F877 doesn't?

YAN-1 said:
Hi. I was just wondering what extra features a PIC has when it is labeled as 'A'?
For example, what would the 16F877A have that the 16F877 doesn't?
Basically 'A' versions are just later revisions of the chip&sillicon. Usually they Add features such as comparators (aka 16F877A), BUT sometimes they cripple it (aka lowering maximum Timer1 oscilator frequncy from 200Khz to 32Khz for 16F628A, or change in Program memory writting with 16F877A). Generaly code written for nonA versions should run on A version WITH minor editing...

so if i want to get a PIC with as many pins as the 16f877 but with a comparator module, i have to get the 'A' version? i think the 16f628 (not the 16f628A) has a comparator module, right?

YAN-1 said:
so if i want to get a PIC with as many pins as the 16f877 but with a comparator module, i have to get the 'A' version? i think the 16f628 (not the 16f628A) has a comparator module, right?
Yes, exactly... 16F877 don't and 16F877 HAVE comparator module...
Both 16F628 AND 16F628A HAVE it too.

As Jay has suggested, ALL the 'A' means is that it's a later silicon revision, nothing else! - the later silicon 'may' include slightly different features, and even different technologies, but it doesn't mean anything else specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back