The best "C" compliler for pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

amindzo

Hi,
i want to know that what is the best compiler for pic in"C"?
i wrote my program in basic befor and now i want to learn C and i think C is better and easier than basic.

amindzo said:
Hi,
i wrote my program in basic befor and now i want to learn C and i think C is better and easier than basic.

Mikroelectronika seems to have a good one. But Microchip provides a free student version of their C compilers C18, C30, and whatever other versions there are.

HTSoft's PICC18. It's WAY faster than Microchip MCC18 in my experience, by several times in fact.

amindzo said:
Hi,
Just by seeing the amount of post here, in my e-mail, on other forum and uneless you put some effort to understand what you do... no compiler will be better. Now if you find that BASIC is hard... good luck with C.

I agree Hi-Tech C (entreprise edition) is my first choice when i really need to use C.

I can't vouch on any MikroElektronika.. they never really turn me on. BUT pricing seems to be fair enough.

Microchip C.. poor to fair.. i really prefer Hi-Tech.. but once again.. Microchip offer some free version.

good luck!

amindzo said:
Hi,
i found this:
https://www.htsoft.com/products/PICClite_comparison.php
is that the one you said?
but it seems free.
No. PICC-Lite is for 10/12/14/16/17 series. PICC18 is for the PIC18 series.

Actually the pre-PIC18 parts have a smaller instruction set and don't work very well with C. I've no experience with that compiler, but from what I hear it's really best to just get a PIC18 series part and use the PICC18 compiler.

Microchip does not make any C compiler for the pre-PIC18 series.

Last edited:
I have been using microchip's C18 compiler for the 18F series, because there's a free student version, and it's sort of the standard compiler; it's got a large user base and thus more example code out there.

but of course there's no free microchip C compiler for the 12F and 16F series... For these PICs I highly recommend BoostC. I personally own a full license and don't regret buying it at all, but I also haven't actually hit the limitations of the free version yet! so if you are doing small projects, you can probably use BoostC completely free (or buy one of the cheaper licenses to support the developers), and unlike some compilers, the free version is not limited in any way other than code size (which I believe is 2k for the free version)

and since it's so cheap even for a full license, it's a good language to get started with so you can actually afford it down the road if you need it for bigger projects.

amindzo said:
Hi,

Best?

Reasonably priced? Most compact code? Fastest execution speed? Most comprehensive function library? Well documented features and help files? Widest range of supported chips? Fastest support for new chips and bug fix? Most active and friendly user forum? .......

You won't have all from a single developer/product.

Anyone has experience with mikroElektronika's MikroC? Any limitations? Coments about the resulting code size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…