the great LiPo charging debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

verdonko

hello all,

i have read in so many places that attempting to charge Lithium Ion batteries will make them explode. Well they make plenty of battery packs for a variety of power tools, computers, and RC toys that use Lithium batteries and they seem to charge fine.

However, my question involves the 1.5V AA Lithium Ion batteries that you buy at any grocery shop (ie Energizer e2). Couldn't these batteries be recharged with the right circuit? These are great batteries, but very expensive...hence the desire to get more life(?) out of them. I also understand that charging a Lithium Ion battery is very complicated...

So my task i set before those that have much more experience and skill than i do: Can it be done? If so, suggestions as to how?

Anything designed must fit into a steel ammo box (explosion insurance )

thanks, me (with intermediate electronics experience and a desire to learn more)

Energizer's 1.5V lithium disposeable batteries are not the same as 3V lithium coin cells and are not the same as 3.7V rechargeable lithium cells.

The 1.5V lithium cells have a current-limiter and temperature sensor inside.

You can be the first person to blow them up by trying to recharge them somehow.

Make a video of the non-rechargeable lithium battery expoding when you try to charge it.

Lithium is a very active metal I think its flame is white-hot like magnesium.
Water on a lithium fire makes it burn hotter.

I saw a $500 lithium battery catch on fire and burn at an electric model airplane show. The battery was brand new and burned with sand on it for about half an hour.

Li-Ion batts do not really explode its more of a rupture but they burn very well... the batt chemistry requires intelligent charging and because of the fire threat they also require protection devices. When these batteries are placed in series charge balancing also becomes an issue but this is not unique to Li-Ion batteries.

The chemistry in question for the Energizer batteries is lithium iron disulfide.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/07/lithiuml91l92_appman.pdf
It's not meant to be re-charged, you probably could with limited success try to recharge it at a low current rate, but you're not going to restore anything like the original capacity and unless you have a masters in chemistry there's no telling what the recharging is going to do. The batteries could leak in the device during discharge after recharging. If you do try to recharge one, simply use a very low charging current and monitor the cell temperature closely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…