The Jaw Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownOut

Banned
The Jaw Saw

Anyone use one? It looks narly. I cut alot of firewood that I gather from the forest and if it works as advertised, it would be a great tool for me. I just don't want to pay alot of money and have it break on the first try.

They seem to look good in the videos I have seen but I never used one. They seem well suited for smaller stuff. The ones I looked at were in the 5 HP range, with cost varying between about $110 USD and up. I guess if WROX puts their name on it, it can't be all that bad of a product? I think the WROX units were like $159 or so. Starting to get cool up this way so people are cutting and piling. The cribs are filling up!

Ron

I dunno... I use about 4 cords of wood a year for heating and It looks like a toy to me. I can't imagine that thing to be much use except for small pruning jobs and it would take a LONG time to cut through some of the rather large white oak logs that I have. My Husqvarna has lasted for 12 years or so.

If you already cut a lot of firewood and know how to use a chainsaw, it looks like a gimmick to me intended for urban lumberjacks. There is absolutely no way a 500 Watt electric chainsaw is faster than even a low end Stihl or Husqvarna pruning saw.

My primary saw is a Stihl MS361 with a solid 20" bar and non safety chain. I've found that it's so much faster at cutting than my small top handle saw that its extra weight doesn't bother me and I rarely if ever use the small one anymore even for pruning. If it looks like the ground could be an issue, I use a peavy to get the log up off the ground or roll it enough to finish the cut.

If it were me, I would pass on it.

phalanx said:
If you already cut a lot of firewood and know how to use a chainsaw, it looks like a gimmick to me intended for urban lumberjacks

Actually, I use a sazall with a pruning blade. That's for small branches I gather from the forest. For larger pieces, I split the big disks with a wedge.

That's funny. I use a battery powered sazall for cutting up kindling to get my wood stove up and running.

If your sazall is corded, there is a very good chance it's more powerful than the Jaw Saw. I'm skeptical of the utility of the Jaw Saw for anything but the lightest of use.

The only thing I don't like about using a sazall is having to hold the piece while I'm trying to cut it. I thought about making the jawsaw before I ever saw one. My inspiration for the invention was the automatic "bucking" saws I see used on the TV show "Axemen" But when I saw the jawsaw, I realized I don't have to try to make anything. And BTW, I'm also just talking about cutting up kindling, 3" - 4" in diameter. I am able to obtain alot of it in the woods around my house. I only make a fire ever week or so, thus I have about 500 years worth of firewood in my backyard. I also have a 20" Husky, but I'm not about to try to hold and cut small stuff with it.

gabeNC said:
I dunno... I use about 4 cords of wood a year for heating and It looks like a toy to me.

What's wrong with toys? You can never have enough

Last edited:
Looking at the video and reading a little it is not the replacement for Paul Bunyan. It is for small light work. It will not do what a good higher end chain saw will get done.

Last edited by a moderator:
For what you're using it for BrownOut it sounds ideal, it's a bit pricey, but for your needs it seems just about perfect. You could do whole bundles of the size branches you're talking about. If you're using 4 cords of wood a year for home heating sure it's a toy, but not for someone that wants impromptu camp fires every couple weeks. It's a tool that fills a niche.

Personally I would just lay all the branches you're talking about in a line parallel up to the depth of the chainsaw blade you have, bind them together and then you can cut them safely just like you would a larger trunk. Don't think 'one at a time' find out how to bundle what you have so that the tools you already have can work. I don't really see the need for something like this personally, you can think your way around the problem, but if you have the discretionary income then it's fine. For the price I think it's an overly specifically designed electric chainsaw. Depends on what you want to spend your money on, and how much time it will eventually save you.

Last edited:
@Reloadron - thanks for the video. Looks like it does a pretty good job, and actually cuts faster than my sazall.
@Sceadwian - I agree. I only need something to section small branches < 4" dia for use in the fire pit. I'd probably cut my arm off trying to use my full-size chain saw.

I could also use it for pruning. However, and this is one of the things I don't like, the extender handle ( sold seperately ) is not a long as those sold specifically for pruning. Hell, can't have it all, I guess.

Last edited:
The key feature this device seems to solve is binding, and kickback issues with people not acustomed to working with chainsaws or ones (such as yourself) who have that as the only tool for what you need done, as you said you'd cut your arm off.

I think you could work around it, BUT for the price, if you have the money, it'll get used (especially in your case) I can't recommend it for general usage. A cheap small chainsaw will fit the bill for most people. For the purpose it seems like it would work well, and if you bought one I'd hazard a guess your review would be glowing.

The only caveat I might give is that cleaning and maintenance might be an issue, it's NOT mechanically simple =)

Last edited:
I cut alot of firewood...

I'm also just talking about cutting up kindling...
I only make a fire ever week or so...

Sorry! There are regional differences in what constitutes a lot of firewood! I don't consider myself a heavy user and I go through 3-4 cords per year. I have a neighbor that does 10+!

For what you're trying to do, it will probably work just fine. The thick wood being cut in the video that was posted was pine or some other softwood which really makes the saw look fairly fast. Keep that in mind if you are cutting up lots of hardwood. Above all, keep the teeth sharp!

I completely agree with your views on toys. He who dies with the most wins!

Well, I guess it's not ALOT of firewood. The point is, I guess, when I want a fire in the firepit, I want to quickly section the available wood without much hassle. My G/F and I love a nice fire on a chilly fall night. I go out into the forest, which is mostly my backyard, and grab as many branches as I can. I like using smaller pieces because they make the most flame and heat. I use some of the larger pieces for continuation, but the smaller ones burn much hotter. Minde you, I have to walk DOWNHILL to get the wood and UPHILL to bring it back, so I'm only hauling a couple long pieces at a time. Also, I don't have much room on my deck to store the wood, so I think it makes much more sense to store it in the forest until I need it. My question was not if this is the right tool for my needs, I already knew it would fit the requirements. I only wondered if anyone uses one and if it performs up to what has been advertised.

I completely agree with your views on toys. He who dies with the most wins!

What a beautiful sentiment.

Last edited:
If it's your property BrownOut rent a bigger chainsaw and take a couple of those guys down =) We thinned out our back yard here and have wood for a couple of years at least.

Tuesday the attached first image is what I came home to. My neighbor got real energetic. We have 3 large maples across the frontage which are in bad shape. Large dead wood on the tops and they are tall. We have been talking about taking them down. The base of the first and smallest was about 30" in diameter. Cal took it down and removed everything with the exception of the chips you see. That will be his next year firewood. Maybe we will get another before winter sets in. He sure as hell blew me away. I went to work and it was there, came home to what you see. You have to love a good rope and quality chain saw.

Ron

Attachments

• Tree1.png
    1 MB · Views: 275
  • Tree2.png
    1 MB · Views: 267
  • Tree4.png
    1 MB · Views: 282
It wouldn't matter what I cut down. I'd still have to walk downhill/uphill. That's the way it is when you live on a ridge. Besides, I already have all the firewood I'll need for the next 100 years.

@Ron, I had a bad Poplar taken down last year. 10 feet diameter at the trunk.

Here's a picture of the behemoth being measured, just before she fell. Also a pic of me trying to section up what was left.

Attachments

• DSC00347.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 297
  • DSC00429.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Big poplar BrownOut. I figure one down and two to go. Yeah, downhill / uphill. Alabama would look good to me during the deep of winter.

Ron

Jaw Saw???
I just saw the video. The blade is completely covered. How can I cut my leg off with that. Where is the thrill of almost killing your self? Most saws now days require you to have both hands on the saw before it will run. I believe my new saw has side air bags. "Do you really want to cut this tree? Press YES to confirm. Check this box if you read the manual."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…