the myth of cheap running lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
hm very interesting, so audioguru did you put that bulb in 60 years ago ? wow thats a long time it just goes to show what a stress the on cycle is but it does save power

Lots of this depends on the type of ballast used; the number of start cycles is likely to make more difference on a switch start ballast than an electronic or preheat ballast.

I have seen only a few fluorescent tube lights that have a neon bulb or bi-metallic strip switch used to start them. Most over here heat the filaments all the time they are lighted.

audioguru said:
I have seen only a few fluorescent tube lights that have a neon bulb or bi-metallic strip switch used to start them. Most over here heat the filaments all the time they are lighted.

That probably has something to do with the colder climate in Canada,
and keep the filaments on will avoid the tube flickering.
Perhaps the 120 Volts voltage is not high enough, to keep a cold series choke controlling the discharge current across a cold tube.

On the rare cold days in NZ, sometimes the cold cathode lamps appear to flicker or the light seems to wave through the tube instead of a steady light output.

At 240 Volts the old Neon , bimetal starter works well.

While over here in the UK we moslty have bi-metalic switch start fittings.

I think this is because the pre-heat ballasts that keep the fillaments powered continiously are autoto transformers that also boost the voltage to about 200V; 120V isn't enough to power a 6' tube. We have 230V which is more than enough to power a tube so there's no need for a transfromer which would add to the cost of the fitting.

I bet the switch start fittings you have seen are for the shorter tubes.

3v0 said:
I do not recall the exact details but (Please do not hit me) ...

They also tested to see if the bulb life was shorted by frequent on/off cycles and that it was not a big factor.

Let me rephrase that.

Under the test condition used by the Mythbusters frequent on/off cycles and that it was not a big factor ...

I put the "Please do not hit me" in my first post for a good reason. From time to time they do get it exactly right.

audioguru said:

They were all neon/bi-metallic over here, but occasional electronic ballasts are creeping in now - but tubes hardly ever go O/C heater over here.

wow what a debate I started eh ?

So people please remember it is bet for your electric bills and the environment to SWITCH OFF all un-needed lights at all times ! I hate to think how many MW per hour are wasted on lighting because people still believe that they need to be on for 3 hours at least

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…