Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

the usual beginer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderchild

ok you will probably screem at me for asking the aame questions but:

I would like to start in pics I think the 16F88 of which I already have samples is a good starting one as I think it is as simple to work on as the now superseeded 16F84 and has many useful addtional features.

I don't mind buying a programmer board a kit is fine as wellits just that I can't make my own PCB and don't know where to get them made and by the time I di I might as well buy a kit, I did start my own on matrix board but I would rather leave out the "faulty programmer" possibility in the variables of a faulty pic programing/project.

I am interested in doing it in assembly or basic I don't have any programing knowledge that would help I did basic and pascal long time ago but never c+

any advice ? the microchip site is full of gear and I don't know where to start from but I'm checking it out as well, the last time I looked at their IDE thing it looked rather complicated and more than I need.

thanks all for your patience

From microchip Pickit2 or if you want a kit Bill's Junebug is very nice and icludes an 18F1320 tutor/targert.

I would pick a higher level language based on the best tutorials you can find. FWIW the is C and there is C++. C is most often used on uC's.

simrantogether I don't think you read further than the first line in my post: I want to BUY a ready made programmer board or a kit. making my own from scratch will just set me back more

3v0 where do I find bill's junebug ? what is the 18F1320 compared to the 16F88 ? more / less powerfull more / less ports or something like that ?

As a nooby, you cant go too far wrong with the PicKit2 programmer...

As for a language, while assembly will produce fast code, it can be a swine to learn. PicBasic is simple, and easy to learn. You can always include assembly routines at a later date when you get more proficient.
I have yet to use any version of C for programming pics...
Swordfish is getting good comments, but from what I read, is limited to the 18F series pics.
I use Proton Picbasic, and while not the cheapest, current pricing around £99, it does have great support and it works for the 10F - 12F- 16F - 18F series, new device support comes all the time too.

I like picbasic, as i find it is easier to add, change and hack the program than using assembly.. (sorry Nigel!!):D

yes from what I saw of picbasic its good I can more easily relate to the language and it looks easier to mod later in assembly so my issues are buying a programer and making sure I have a simple to use program that will be compatible. so where do I find the pickit2 programmer ?

If it's BASIC you want then you can't really beat Swordfish BASIC. It's free SE edition never expires but has a 256byte RAM limit (which is all the 18F1320 has so it's a perfect match). It's full version sells for $149
https://www.sfcompiler.co.uk/swordfish/
IMO it's far superior to PIC BASIC Pro which sells for $249 and its free edition which supports only 40 lines of code.

As for the hardware...
The PICkit 2 is a teriffic little programmer, I've put a compatible version of it on a little tutor board I call the Junebug which as 3V0 pointed out has a PIC18F1320 tutor which is more or less the 18F series version of the 16F88
Much to 3V0 chagrin I've been working with BASIC on it and it's a breeze to use. I've also got a very simple but working module for it (free of course) and here's a look at a simple LED light sequence in Swordfish BASIC
Code:
{
*  Name    : BLINK_1.BAS                            
*  Author  : BR blueroomelectronics 2008                                                                                                     
*  Notes   : Blinks Junebugs LEDs from left to right at 0.3sec intervals                                                              
}
Device = 18F1320
Clock = 4               // 4MHz clock
Include "Junebug.bas"
Dim Count As Byte
While True
    For Count = 1 To 6
        LED(Count)      // turns on LED 
    DelayMS(300)        // delay in 1000s of a second
    Next
Wend        // repeat forever
End

They're are several Junebug owners here, you can do a search for "Junebug" and can read their comments and see some sample code.

what do you mean by tutor board ? it works as a programer and basic project board ?
I'd rather have a separate programer I've got a spare zif socket so I can make my own proto board I'm jst not sure how the pickit programmer connects to the pic the cheaper option is just the programer without the protoboard but I might give it second thoughts

Thunderchild said:
ok does it ship to the uk ?

You can contact me directly from the contact link on the site, we take PayPal for direct sales and ship around the world. It's $45 + $10 for international shipping via Canada Post Airmail. (prices is US dollars)

The Junebug is two kits in one, they can be completely seperated by a simple switch (the big red dip switch in the picture below) The top half is the PICkit 2 compatible part and the bottom half is a tutor so you can start learning programming right away. The entire kit is very portable and the 18F is actually a modern version of the old 16F series. More instructions and hardly any bank switching and a solution to the dreaded RMW found on 16F chips.

It's shown connected to another kit (a PIC18F2525 on a robot chassis) and in this mode functions like any other programmer / debugger.
**broken link removed**
Junebug Left / Mongoose Right

so you would suggesrt i use 18F pics ? thats fine I can start right out on 18F pics if they are as simple to handle. I see no zif socket but I do have one of my own can I get it into your kit and then use it to easily put in and out pics ?

the 18Fs price wide are similiar with the 16Fs, and with higher performance. Would recommend for higher performance.

If you are interested on doing it yourself, we have a SMD-based DIY kits for PICKit2:
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back