Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thermal printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bijosh.t

Hi Mike,

I am facing a problem now in designing of my hardware. I have to interface a thermal \ dot-matrix printer (3” to 5” paper width) with my hardware. I am planning to use PIC18F450 as my controller. Is it is possible to interface a serial printer with this controller. If possible, can you guide me how to do it.

Post moved to own thread by moderator!

Easily possible, just connect via a suitable interface and send data as specified by the data sheet for the printer.

Hi Goodwin,

Thanks for your replay. I want one more help from you.
Can u help me to find a sample schematic, in which PIC is
interfaced with a Printer ...

Don't believe you defined 'serial' as either USB or RS232. Either way, it still a serial port, just like connecting a computer to your PIC. There is a lot of stuff on this, many boards for AVR, so you must get hundreds of thousands of hits on Google.com. Believe Nigel's tutorials have a section on PC->PIC. Hardware should be the same, most of the software should be the same. Only difference would be what is sent to the printer and how fast.

you'll most likely need a level shifter of some sort (max232 for example), which is covered in all the popular tutorials.

after you get the '232 working, the rest is pretty much plug and play - cable from the printer to the '232 ... wires from the '232 to the pic

here's some detail on a simple rx/tx shifter board I built a while back ... it's designed to be small and to easily plug into a breadboard

https://projects.dimension-x.net/archives/84

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back