Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thermochromic Toilet Seat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analog

“Being able to identify a public toilet seat that has just been sat upon (and is thus still warm) is of particular concern to a significant number of the population. Without warning, one can easily sit upon a seat and be instantly repulsed by the trace evidence of a previous user. Conversely, if one is looking for intimate contact with an anonymous stranger without the associated awkwardness of verbal discourse, one could seek out the warm toilet seat. The decision to sit or not to sit is facilitated by the colour change of the seat: orange=cool, yellow=hot. The object retains the heat memory of a previous user and displays it as a visual marker for the next user to assess.”

http://www.canadiandesignresource.ca/officialgallery/

awesome idea, but you forgot most public toilet seats are covered in urine. Thus I'd rather crap in the woods.

crusty said:
awesome idea, but you forgot most public toilet seats are covered in urine. Thus I'd rather crap in the woods.

A very true statement.

However, there are time when something inside just has to come out:rolleyes:
and dropping ones trollies behind the tree in the town park to deposit a big steaming load is usually frowned upon in modern western culture.

JimB

JimB said:
A very true statement.

However, there are time when something inside just has to come out:rolleyes:
and dropping ones trollies behind the tree in the town park to deposit a big steaming load is usually frowned upon in modern western culture.

What!, even in Scotland? :p

I think the French have the 'warm' toilet seat problem solved, no pan, no seat just an undersized hole in the floor... very bad for the knees!

All it needs to upgrade it is a Norden bomb site!!!:rolleyes:

Nigel Goodwin said:
What!, even in Scotland? :p

Debatable!

However, on a day like today, 2 degC and windy, it is not just the toilet seat which will be thermochromic:D

JimB

We didn't have any snow in Bedford but it was just as cold as Scotland, we were just lucky the moist air didn't have chance to cool enough to form snow when it reached us so it fell as rain.

Regarding the thermochromic toilet seat, it's got great novilty value but I don't think it'll ever catch on.

Unless I'm really desperate and don't have enough time, if seat the seat is coverd in pee, I'll find a clean one and if I can't find a clean one, I'll clean it with toilet paper soaked in soapy water.

Last edited:
Sheesh over here it's around 40C in the shade so if ya need to go to a public loo and wonder if someone was there just before you ya don't need any colour changing seat you just wish you lost ya sense of smell

Over here, we have public washrooms that have sterilized toilet seats. A new idea, priced at $200K, with a time limit of ten minutes. Sorry, no shower. Only a loo and a sink with paper towels. Supposed to not be a homeless shelter.

Good idea, but the fact that someone has recently sat on it doesn't change the fact that someone has sat on it before it has been cleaned- regardless of the period of time.

The more important factor is how...err...responsible...the person that went before you was.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back