Thevenin's Theorem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarod_C

I know this isn't really a fun topic for some people, but I was hoping someone could help me with this circuit. I need to find the voltage drops on the resistors. If someone that understands Thevenin's Theorem could check this for me I'd appreciate it. I'm a first term robotics stundet that needs a little help.

Here's the circuit.

**broken link removed**

This is what I caculated
R1=2.47V
R2=9.36V
R3=0.412V

Your calculations appear to be in error.

The voltage drop from the top to the bottom of the circuit must be the same for each resistor and battery when the circuit is stable. They are not.

You haven't stated the direction of the voltage drop across the resistors. That would be helpful.

Isn't that what he's tried to do? Calculate the voltage across the resistors?

Have you tried simulating it in SPICE and checking your calculations that way?

Please show all your working so we can see where you've gone wrong.

If you remove the middle leg and calculate the Thevenin equivalent (calculate the circulating current and therefore the voltage across R1) then you should come up with an equivalent voltage between 2.5 and 3.6 and a resistance of R1 || R3. Combine this with the middle leg and you should get your voltages.

Edit, I didn't notice that the middle battery was upside down.

You know if you are on the right track if you get a top rail voltage somewhere around 0.5V.

Mike.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…