Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thin red & black figure 8 cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LHC1

Need a supplier for thin red and black figure 8 cable of the type and thickness often used on PC fans. It's a bit like two cores peeled off a ribbon cable, but red and black. Just can't seem to find any. Have tried Farnell, Rapid and RS, but no luck.

I could use two strands of single hook up wire twisted together, but the project would look much better, I think, if I could find the cable described.

Please help if you can.

Thanks, John.

Last edited:
It's called zip chord cause it's made from unlinked plastics, which means it tears just like a zip cord right across the focus of any weakness. The cylanders that form the main conductors are very structurally sound so the plastic almost always tears right down the webbing inbetween.

What's it called then Nigel? It has to ahve some kind of common name?

A zapper? I'm not even sure what you're talking about. First thing that comes to mind is a TV remote control though.
Bell wire doesn't really make sense to me, the kind of wire in question is typically stranded, bell wire is typically solid core. I'd never even really heard the term figure 8 cable till I looked it up because of this post and it makes perfect sense that it's called that because it's sliced profile is a figure 8 shape because of the two insulation layers.

A zapper? I'm not even sure what you're talking about. First thing that comes to mind is a TV remote control though.

Likewise, I've heard it (very occasionally) used to describe a remote control - but in the last three years or so the manufacturer Humax has started using it to describe a non-PVR digital satellite receiver - I was wondering if anyone else had heard of it?.

Bell wire doesn't really make sense to me, the kind of wire in question is typically stranded, bell wire is typically solid core. I'd never even really heard the term figure 8 cable till I looked it up because of this post and it makes perfect sense that it's called that because it's sliced profile is a figure 8 shape because of the two insulation layers.

Bell wire here was usually stranded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back