Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Time for a student help forum ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
We have talked about this in the past. Maybe it is time to make it happen.

Suggestions:
Student posts regarding classwork in other areas will be moved or rm'ed.

First time posters allowed to post schematics, code, and images.

A short STICKY readme telling students that they are expected to try/attempt to do their own work.​

Even if we discourage 9 of 10 students from posting it will reduce the clutter. Few if any of these people hang around for long. Little will be lost. As it is most of their posts are a waste of time.

Last edited:
hi,
Yes, please.:)

Last edited:
3v0, A while ago I made the suggestion that student's could help each other so the freshman could go to second year and so on.

If the need rises to the point that the topic has peaked then someone with the capability to answer or it maybe a select group with the background and knowledge could offer resolution.

That means the group in discussion has to raise it to the forum with schematics and also will have the proper language as to bring about a faster resolution?

I don't know what I'm talking about ? Thinking out loud again.

The group that maybe be willing to help could have a title that is that there is no conflict in the problems resolution.

Back then I was suggesting : The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

You will laugh at me.

But. the work that has been accomplished on this site in bringing about change in electronics inside peoples minds has been huge.

I couldn't think of a better name at the time.

At work we have a level of priority.

1st is the Technical Operations Center. (TOC)

2nd is the Video Operations Center. (VOC)

3rd and last is the Network Operations Center. (NOC)

kv

Where in the hell are the damn professors? Isn't that their job!

I am a self taught Engineer.....I spent a lot of long nights learning what I know today.

These kids pay tuition, don't get what they need or do the work, and they expect someone to hand them all the answers......well, it ain't gonna be me!

killivolt & GonzoEngineer,
When I was in school I learned as much from other students as I did my profs when working on projects.

I am not sure why these kids are posting here. And let me say I do not mind helping the ones who are in need of help, but not looking for a handout.

Profs are damn near worthless. As are the teaching assistants. Engineering education sucks in the US. Mostly because it is run by bitter old white men who married the first thing that would sleep with them.

Last edited:
killivolt & GonzoEngineer,
When I was in school I learned as much from other students as I did my profs when working on projects.

I am not sure why these kids are posting here. And let me say I do not mind helping the ones who are in need of help, but not looking for a handout.

That is essentially the important point. We don't mind helping those who are working hard to learn.

We can draw an analogy to helping someone who has a flat tire on the side of the road. I can say, "that's a job for the police", or I can stop and try to assist. But, if I do stop to help, I expect to do the minimum necessary to get the person through. If the person is a strong man, maybe I hold the flashlight so he can see. If it is an old women, maybe I do the work and ask her to hold the flashlight. But if I ever tried to help and found an able-bodied person who just hands me the tools, tells me to fix it and then goes to sit down for a smoke, you can be sure I would leave in a hurry.

Last edited:
Profs are damn near worthless. As are the teaching assistants. Engineering education sucks in the US. Mostly because it is run by bitter old white men who married the first thing that would sleep with them.
What school do/did you go to? Mine was not and as far as I know is not.

What percentage of the kids asking for help do you think are from the US ?

@Roff: Maybe we should just sent them to open circuits.

Last edited:
I think it's a good idea so long as we make it perfectly clear that we will not do all of the work.

I like helping It helps me to
Mostly because it is run by bitter old white men
I say there is a lot of that but more so because the kids don't want to learn
they want it giving to them and most you have to read there minds to help. You learn a lot by sharing what you know and finding that you don't. that part some times hurts.

Last edited:
I went to the University of Texas. Graduated with a degree in electrical engineering, cumulative GPA 3.7/4.0. I really have little positive to say about my time there.

The profs at the college I went to ran the gamut. I had one undergraduate professor who kicked arse. The guy knew his stuff forward and backward and was completely open to helping you understand the material outside of class. His tests were killer, tho. That was a great class.

I also had a graduate professor who admitted to me that he could not help me with one of my projects at all because he only knew the theory. That was ridiculous. I had to learn a ton of crap on my own for that - would not have been so much of a problem if the timeline for getting it completed wasn't compressed.

Stereotypes are rarely useful. There are good and bad people in all professions. Personally, I've been very lucky to have many more good professors than bad with a ratio of about 3 to 1. Some of the bad ones were really bad; like the alchoholic that would fall into the chalk board. However, there were others that were very inspiring, and taught not just knowledge but also how to think and learn. When I would get the bad ones, I would just learn the material on my own (a skill I picked up from the good professors).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back