Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

timer switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanson

Hello everybody I am new to this , I was just wondering if anybody knows how to make a kind of 5 v timer to power 10 small brushless motors for 3 minutes and repeats the cycle every 30 min and needs to be able to swith off the motors remotely if desired during its 3 min operation. Anyone can help please ?

Welcome to ETO!
More detail needed :-
How accurate must the timing be?
What are the voltage and current specs for the motors?
How remote is remote?
Can the remote link be via wires or must it be wireless?
Are the motors to be switched individually or all at the same time?

For standard timer chips like the 555, 3 minutes is a long time and 30 minutes is a loooooong time. So the logic core would be better as a clock and divider to get the 3 minute period and another counter to get the 30 minute overall cycle time. Or it all could be done in the smallest PIC. Beyond that, everything alec asks is needed to create a final design.

AND

When the fans are "switched off" in the middle of an ON phase, does the timer get reset back to the beginning of the on phase and held waiting for some kind of restart signal, set to the beginning of the OFF (27 minute) phase and left to run, or something else?
ak

Last edited:
Ok , I am trying to build a device which is powered by a 5v power bank and have 10 mobile phone vibration motors I think they are 3.5 v it needs go be connected to a timer so that thevmotor vibrates every 30 min for 3 min and need to be able to switch the activated motors via a remote controll if needed

You can build or you can buy. Your choice. If you are comfortable building and can fabricate a circuit board then build is a viable option. If this is for an industrial operation like a test bed for "burning in" these small motors or testing them a turn key off the shelf solution may be the answer. In that case you want a Repeat Cycle Time Delay Relay. Upon application of input voltage, the time delay (t1) begins. At the end of the time delay (t1), the output is energized and remains in that condition for the time delay (t2). At the end of this time delay, the output is de-energized and the sequence repeats until input voltage is removed. I doubt you will find a 5 volt version but 12 Volt DC versions are popular and you run the 3.3 Volt motor voltage through the onboard relay contacts. Marcomatic is one company that makes them also NCC (National Controls Corporation) is another.

Solution/Resolution:

Understanding the differences between all the functions available in time delay relays can sometimes be a daunting task. When designing circuits using time delay relays, questions such as what initiates a time delay relay, does the timing start with the application or release of voltage, when is the output relay energized, etc., must be asked

Read the above link. Consider a repeat cycle where T1 and T2 can be programmed for separate times. Anyway, what you want from a commercial point is a repeat cycle time delay relay.

Ron

The FRM01-05 is very cheap.
Here is the instruction manual to see if it will do what you want

Attachments

• Timer Relay Module (FRM01) User Manual.pdf
    268 KB · Views: 350
The FRM01-05 is very cheap.
Here is the instruction manual to see if it will do what you want

"Failed to load PDF document"

Keep in mind all this electronic need to be put in a jacket pocket and will need to stay on for at least 10 hours will 10000mah power bank be up for the job

No problem as long as the jacket pocket can hold a battery that is larger than a softball and weighs 5 pounds. With the load described in post #1, each of the ten motors would have to draw 1 A, an extremely high current for such a device. Wanna re-run your numbers?

AND, still don't know what "switch off the motors remotely" means.

I have a schematic ready to go, one chip and a few diodes, but without more information it is useless.

ak

Last edited:
You have to have a 3 min time base, a counter 4017 and some AND gates to accomplish this task. for some what accurate 3 min pulses a binary counter with crystal oscillator can be used.
see the below post for 1 pulse / min pulse generation, this can be modified for 1pulse / 3 min time base.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com...e-to-the-1000ths-of-a-sec.117057/#post-960865

Then clock a 4017 counter using this pulse. pass each 4017 out puts (total 10) via two input AND gates to stop it from remote mean time introduce another AND gate between both 4060 counter in the above link so that to hold the clock at 200Hz input point.

To drive small motors you can switch transistors using output of 4017.

if you have some skill in soldering it can be done easily.

I don't have skills in soldering and electronic would somebody be able to build this device for me ?

Maybe motors to run for only 1 minute instead of 3 minute

I don't have skills in soldering and electronic would somebody be able to build this device for me ?

Maybe motors to run for only 1 minute instead of 3 minute

You still have to provide more information,
1- motor specification
2- what kind of remote? just a wire or wireless?
3- where are the motors and battery bank located, only the controller is to be in the jacket pocket? space dimension?

if you can explain your purpose or functionality on how you will be using it, it will be helpful. I can help you to provide a complete scematic, you can find some local technician to solder it. Parts can be found on ebay or any other online store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back