Timing Relays

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechanicaltom

Hi everyone,

This is my first post and I am glad to be a member of your forum. I need an electronic device that powers an electric motor for a certain amount of time, then the power is instantly stopped. Also the time taken to stop needs to be able to be changed. So far I have considered a timing relay, but I am not entirely sure how they work. Are the connected in a circuit?? Could you suggest anything else?

Any help would be appreciated.

Here are the specs:

6V 9,000 RPM DC Electric Motor

- Torque 80g-cm
- 2.3mm driveshaft
- M2.6 threaded mounting
- Generously ventilated
- Solder tag terminals

Voltage: 6V
NO LOAD
Speed (RPM): 13500
Current (AMP): 0.5
AT STALL
Torque (G.CM): 191
Current (AMP): 5.25
AT MAX EFFICIENCY
Efficiency(%): 49.6
Power (W): 5.96
Speed (RPM): 9679
Torque (G.CM):60
Current (AMP): 2
AT MAX POWER
Output (W): 6.44
Speed (RPM): 7845
Torque (G.CM): 80
Current (AMP): 2.6
DIMENSIONS
Diameter: 27.6mm
Total Length: 51mm
Shaft Length: 12.5mm
Shaft dia: 2.3mm
Mounting thread dia: 2.6mm

You just need a simple delay circuit using either a 555 with a transistor buffer or a Hex Schmitt trigger.

Last edited:

hi,
Look thru this link, there are number of delay circuits, you require the monostable version.
Use the 555 output pin via a suitable resistor to drive a medium power transistor.
Its important to add a diode across the motor coil in order to protect the transistor damage due back emf from the motor.

Do you follow OK.?

**broken link removed**

I've attched the circuit that I would like to use, My main concerns are regarding the trigger and the connection that I have circled. What is this for and what does it connect to, I thought ground but am not sure.
Regarding the trigger, is it just a single press switch, or is it more complicated than that?

**broken link removed**

How do you want to start or "trigger" the motor?

The circuit you have provided will need a buffer transistor.

The circuit will produce an output for a length of time (say 10 seconds) immediately you press the trigger button and for the next 10 seconds.
If you hold the trigger button for 11 seconds, the motor will operate for 11 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…