Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TLP114 Faraday shielded Optocoupler alternative ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGAmodz

Hello everyone here , and happy Christmas .

Am wandering if i could use a normal phototransistor like a PC817 or 814 as a replacement for this one " TLP114 faraday shielded phototransistor " .

I don't know why this shield is used on it ??

Ultra high isolation (for capacitive coupling). If you don't need that, then any standard opto-coupler will work.

Thanks mikeml
I have replaced the faulty one on my card with normal phototransistor , but i get the same behavior as with the faulty .
I possess a card that controls a 12 v 8 amps soldering unit , it got 7 seg display to display the soldering settings that are controlled with a panel , the problem i get is when i power up the unit , the display starts and then shuts down , normaly it should display the current soldering settings as long as the unit is on .

Last edited:
The TLP114 is a higher gain device and it appears to be faster. The rise time for the TLP is 0.8 microsecond and the PC is 4 to 18.
It looks like you will need the TLP

Back on topic again .

So after inspecting the card to see if something is wrong , i have checked an Optocoupler , checked the diode pins using diode mode and i didn't see any reading , so i assumed that the optocoupler's diode is dead .

Now after ordering brand new optocouplers , i found the same thing on them .

Is it possible that the optocoupler is normally like that ?
BTW the IC is TLP 114 .

If you are referring to the LED part of the coupler, the data sheet says Vf is 1.5 +/- a bit. Are you testing this with an ohm-meter type of tester with a 1.5 volt battery on the ohms range. If so that might be the problem. The diode runs at about 15 to 20 mA at the forward voltage of 1.5V. Use a 3 volt supply in series with say 100 ohm resistor. Should get at least 8 to 10 mA in the LED
The only way you get the output transistor to conduct is by illuminating the led.
Does this help.

Hi

Unfortunatly even after doing a test circuit , using a 12 v and a 470 ohm resistor in series with the led , nothing works , there is no saturation of the transistor .

I think i have received bad parts .

The absolute maximum forward current is stated to be 20 mA. I hope you haven't stuffed it with too much forward current. The 12 volt/470 ohm setup gives me 22.3 mA
I note too on the data sheet there is confusion on page 1.
Pin 1 is shown on the schematic as the anode
Pin 1 is shown on the 'pin configuration drawing' as the cathode; but the list of pin connections says pin 1 is anode.
Just check the information you are using.
Note that the maximum reverse voltage is 5 volt. So I would NOT use more than 5 volt to check this led. You should be looking for a forward current to establish if the led is ok. Then check the receiver. Page 4 test circuit 1 is how to connect the receiving diode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back