To replace the AC power of my alarmclock with batteries...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nr38449

Hi!
I'm sick and tired of not beeing able to find a decent alarmclock that runs on batteries. I've finally managed to find one which doesn't play shitty music on underdimensioned speakers each morning - only to find that it's to far to the AC-outlet.

In Sweden we use 230 V 50 Hz AC, and in the bottom of the clock it also says 6 W. Inside is som kind of powerunit, possibly for converting the AC to DC - that's at least what I hope. But on the circuitcard it says AC1 and AC2 where the cords coming from the powerthing are attached.

Can I power my watch with batteries, and how to do it?

For this I basically have batteries, batteryholders, sauderingequipment and a screwdriver.

Help, anyone?

Dont overlook that the clock likely requires the 50Hz AC Power for time keeping.

Yeah, well. I've been to every electronicsstore in town and the only ones thar are batterypowered are too ugly. Like Donald-Duckstyle... Amazon doesn't ship overseas...

Yeah, well. I've been to every electronicsstore in town and the only ones thar are batterypowered are too ugly. ...

You sound like my wife! We have the "form over function" argument all the time...

Heh, well that's what happens when you have to many sisters

A friend just told me that it might be possible but that the clock probably isn't designed to preserve power and therefore will use a lot of batteries. So for now I guess I'll give this quest up and just get a tacky extention cord (yes, the form-over-function-thing again) instead. Unless somebody deliveres a breakthrough I shall continue to hammer manufacturers with my request of a good looking clock with:

illuminated display with digital time
short snoozetime
fairly loud alarm
no radio
BATTERYPOWERED tech

Cost must be below 130 dollars Yes, I'm desperate!

Why do you need an portable alarm clock when you are on a camping vacation away from the civilized world that has AC electricity?

6 Watt is a lot of power to supply from batteries.

Most likely the display is the big user of electricity 10 mA per led segment x 28 if four 8888's are lit = 280 mA max.

AC1 and AC2 are outputs from the transformer or mains !! be careful if you are not 100% sure.
the "thingy" is most likely a bridge rectifier.

I see this is post nr. 1000 !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…