Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Toner Transfer PCB... Possible on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

I am about to start a new project for a USB controller board for controlling solenoids on pneumatic valves, this is the Valve control module, which will daisy-chain to another transistor board and then to the 24vdc solenoids.

I would like to start off by doing the toner printer/transfer method for this board, as I've never made a PCB before. Do you think it will be possible on this board? Dimensions are 65mm x 59mm. Here is the board:

3878-VCI_V1.1[20].JPG

If the traces are too thin, could I use my Adobe photoshop and make the traces a bit thicker (I'm a graphic designer, so this is easy for me)? I really dont want to get involved with the expense of a photoresist setup, as I'm not sure I will be making many of these.

Help please!

THanks guys!

I would recommend something a bit simpler for your first boad but this board isn't too complex for torner transfer although I would tend to choose the photoresist method for something like this.

How thick are the tracks?

I generally wouldn't go below 0.25mm but I normally use 0.5mm as there's no point in making it any harder than it needs to be.

I've had good results from magazine paper but others here will probably swear by other proprietary papers such as Press 'n' Peal which might be a better option here.

sorry to state the obvious, but you'll want to remove the gray components layout information from your artwork, since you're printer will either print it as black, or as some sort of dithered, either way, it'll mess up the pcb

since you mention retouching things, filling in the drill-holes so there's only a dot in the center will help make it easier to drill. some of the clearances are pretty tight there, for example the one trace leaving the usb connector makes a few 90 degree turns and to me, it looks like it nicks the other pad of the usb connector.

For a few dollars more.........

Franknstein said:
Hi all

I am about to start a new project for a USB controller board for controlling solenoids on pneumatic valves, this is the Valve control module, which will daisy-chain to another transistor board and then to the 24vdc solenoids.

I would like to start off by doing the toner printer/transfer method for this board, as I've never made a PCB before. Do you think it will be possible on this board? Dimensions are 65mm x 59mm. Here is the board:

3879-VCI_V1.1[20].JPG

If the traces are too thin, could I use my Adobe photoshop and make the traces a bit thicker (I'm a graphic designer, so this is easy for me)? I really dont want to get involved with the expense of a photoresist setup, as I'm not sure I will be making many of these.

Help please!

THanks guys!

If time is money, then invest a few bucks and get Press-N-Peel. It eliminate the hassle of removing the paper, it lets you peal it of, in a fraction of a second.
Why not use a free program like ExpressPCB it allows you to print any or a combination of top, bottom and silk screen.
And if you are going to use thin traces the problem is that the outside of 90° corners will be etched too thin, use two 45°'s instead.
The problem with making a number of PCB's is the hassle of drilling of holes.
This can be speeded up by stacking a number of them, I usually do four or five.
Also when you don't have plated through holes any repair is more likely to damage the PCB.
If you Skype I'll be glad to talk to you about this.

Rolf

Edit:
I checked one supplier and his cost of a commercial board like this, double sided plated through holes with no silk screen. Including postage to USA:
10ea - about $11ea
100ea - about $5ea

Last edited:
Franknstein said:
magazine paper? Like just find an old magazine and pull out one of the centre pages and print on that? Over all the ink thats on the page already?
Yes, I've done it many times before!

Print on the paper, iron on (use the highest heat setting and as much pressure as you can apply), leave to soak in cold water for ten miniutes and wipe off with a sponge.

Always make sure the board is well polished and etch as soon as you've managed to remove all the paper. If they're any gaps in the tracks then don't panic, use a permanent marker to fill them.

Hero999 said:
Yes, I've done it many times before!

Print on the paper, iron on (use the highest heat setting and as much pressure as you can apply), leave to soak in cold water for ten miniutes and wipe off with a sponge.

Always make sure the board is well polished and etch as soon as you've managed to remove all the paper. If they're any gaps in the tracks then don't panic, use a permanent marker to fill them.

This method works 100% of the time for me!

Just remember to let it soak for a while.. the longer it soaks the easier it is to pull off.

To do it right you just need to print it out using a laser printer then heating the board then using an iron, iron on the transfer.
Etch board and your done.
Regular ink jet printing won't work. The lazer printer leaves behind a plastic film when tansfering the impression.

the layout consistis components' image also as pointed out by justDIY,
it is better to search for the solder side artwork and that too to 1:1 size for toner tranfer method.

otherwise you may be disappointed by the result and go on scrapping unwanted copper later.

After you've printed the design always lay the components out on the print-out before you even consider transferring and etching it.

I've only made one error on e PCB before and luckily I didn't even have to re-etch it. All I had done was made the rows of pins a little too narrow on a 40 pin ZIF socket so all I needed to do was drill the holes slightly bigger. I did try bending the pins on the ZIF, which stopped it from working properly but fortunately no damage was done as it regained normal operation when I bent the pins back.

Thanks all for your suggestions and help. Ya, I realise that the circuit diagram is incorrect, I am currently trying to track down the print version from the designer. Will show you all my results when its done.

Thanks!

Just to let you know, you print your design directly on the magazine paper. I havent tried this method yet, but I am trying to find a good PCB designer.

Hi guys can I use an old magazine paper to print my design?

But the magazine papers already printed something on it by the magazine publisher.

Or do I need a clean new magazine paper (a paper without printed anything)?

Express PBC...

Souper man said:
Just to let you know, you print your design directly on the magazine paper. I havent tried this method yet, but I am trying to find a good PCB designer.

What is wrong with Express PCB?

Suraj143 said:
Printed pages from a magazine are fine. The slicker paper types are made with clay which helps release the paper from the toner when wet.

In regards to PCB layout tools. I suggest you go with a tool that allows you to input the schematic. then layout the board making sure that it follows the schematic.

If you check the net you will find that many designs are made using Eagle. Being popular does not automatically make it the best, but it does give access to designs created with the tool. I have only used Eagle of late so I can not tell you how it compares to the others.

Last edited:
Suraj143 said:
Hi guys can I use an old magazine paper to print my design?

But the magazine papers already printed something on it by the magazine publisher.

In my experiance the more print there is on the page the better!

Wow thats great! Then I can use an old already printed magazine paper to print my design.

Thanks a lot guys.

I’m using transparent sheets. The projector papers.

I’m using PAD2PAD to draw my PCB layout. It’s good software for me. Only problem is it doesn’t have the OVAL pad. It has only square & round pads.

What about the EAGLE software does it have the OVAL pad?

Are oval pads necessary?

Gayan Soyza said:
I’m using transparent sheets. The projector papers.

I’m using PAD2PAD to draw my PCB layout. It’s good software for me. Only problem is it doesn’t have the OVAL pad. It has only square & round pads.

What about the EAGLE software does it have the OVAL pad?

In other words the projection "paper" peels right off? I am not familiar with projector paper, is it like a mylar sheet? That would be great, it would almost be like Press-N-Peel.

Why oval pads, more space for in-between traces? How many do you need?
Here is a sample of Express PCB, it uses round pads, you can get in two ten thousands traces, easily. I have only tried one.
**broken link removed**
Software allows for even thinner traces (.006) but I think that is just for commercial use.

Hi Guys,

Have been following the thread and thought I would try the mag paper instead of the usual expensive Press and Peel.

Works a treat - no worrying about is the iron at the correct temp -just full on.

Apart from two patchy lines at the very bottom of the board, everything perfect, much better, particularly for first try, than P & P
Pic attached, dark outer areas photo effect not bad tracks.

Only problem , hope she won't miss those glossy pages ! -well I'm not going to use my mags , now am I !

thanks

Richard

Attachments

• 2007-07-10 021.JPG
    2007-07-10 021.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 282
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back