Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tool Box of Delay timer for multiple LED's

Status
Not open for further replies.

zsh8me2

Its been a while since I have done much with electronics, so I need a little help. I am trying to figure out how to make a 5 to 10 minute timer that drives multiple LEDS once I open a door on my tool box. I plan on using 3 NiMh batteries from a rechargeable led Light bar. I need something that draws minimum current, and starts timing when power is applied to the entire circuit (I plan on using a single limit switch so that I have only one input I have to worry about bumping, breaking or catching my fingers on) Any help, suggestions, schematics, or general education would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
LEDs usually consume pretty much power.

If you can do it (concerning light in the environment of the box) limit the LED current as far as possible. That will result in longer battery life.

Boncuk

The 555 is your friend.

I found the solution, I am using a cmos 555 timer, when power is applied to the circuit, (used a spst limit switch activated by the keyed lock), the led's light up until the 555 times out. After a little research, I also etched my first PCB to mount my components on. I forgot how much fun it was doing this kind of stuff (learning new things). When I get some free time I will post the schematic I used for this (I don't know if I used best practices, but the circuit does work). Thanks for the direction guys, I have a couple of projects in mind right now & I will be sure to post again as I will surely need more hints and advice.

Thanks again
C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back