top load capacitance

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokeycmos

is there a way to measure the capacitance of a tesla coil topload without a scope? i have a dmm, LCR, frequency meter and a function generator.

It would be very difficult to determine the actual capacitance, as it exists between the outer surface of the topload and ground. However, it is most likely in the pF range. I would assume you want to know in order to be able to calculate the resonant frequency? You can measure that using a Tesla Coil Tuner, which I think I posted in another thread recently. It uses a single 555 timer and some readily-available discrete components. It would definitely be a worthy build and will help you a lot in tuning your TC.

Regards,
Der Strom

P.S. Here's a site you can use to estimate the capacitance, as long as you have a standard topload shape (shpere or torus):

Last edited:

i do have a function generator. could i hookup my function generator with amp meter in series in place of the circuit you posted and measure resonance frequency when the meter is at max?

i do have a function generator. could i hookup my function generator with amp meter in series in place of the circuit you posted and measure resonance frequency when the meter is at max?

Actually, do you have an o-scope? That would be much better for comparing frequencies of the tank circuit and secondary coil. I'm sure there is a way to test it with an ammeter, I just can't remember it at the moment

Actually, do you have an o-scope? That would be much better for comparing frequencies of the tank circuit and secondary coil. I'm sure there is a way to test it with an ammeter, I just can't remember it at the moment

no i dont. mabey for xmas! im goona try it just to see what happens. i can use the local tech school electronics lab too!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…