Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

torque of a stepper motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vigneshwar

I am planning to use a 12 v 7.5degree 36 ohm stepper motor for building a line tracer. Please help me with the torque. Will it be able to provide the torque that is required.
The motor is purchased from airpax(p/n sk82713).

7.5 degree stepper is not the best for what you want do. As 7.5 is a huge step and considering 1.8 degree is a standard stepper motor, i would aim for something like that.

It is much easier to take 10 steps to achieve a position than 2 and a bit steps, unless your driver is setup for microstepping you will have trouble getting the accuracy with the 7.5 degree motor.

Pete.

There's no way to answer this on the info given, so I'll stick to basics: Torque is a matter of mass * acceleration, after overcoming friction. Keep the moving assemblies as light as possible, only what's Necessary. I'm thinking your line follower is a flatbed plotter type mech, and therefore should only need optical sensors in the carriage head. So, depending on size & machine precision, your motor may work on 1 or either axis.

Why do some OPs just supply the necessary information if prompted to do so giving one after another? :(

In the chat it sounded like that: Stepper 12V, 7.5deg, 36Ω coil resistance. Mass (weight) to move 3 to 4kg.

Further requirement: fast and precise movement. :confused:

(again with no info about speed (inches/sec) and tolerances in positioning (e.g. 0.025mm)

For a configuration like that the best advice is kissing off the stepper and use one rated 24V/1A (minimum) at 1.8deg steps.

Boncuk

Maybe build as much of the mech without committing to a motor then test jig your motor. <<<)))

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back