TP5100 Li-ion charge modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

olly_k

Hi folks has anyone had experience with these?

For those who don't know, they are small Liion chargers designed for 4.2 OR 8.4 (small bridge on PCB) operation and claim to charge up to about 1.5A!

I have purchased a pack of 5 after trying a single one out (different supplier) on some 26650 cells as they are tiny and quite versatile... or so I thought!

I tried charging my cells a second time after a first impressive test (charged to 8.4v at 1.5A but got hot) and as soon as I powered up Poof! Magic smoke!

So I turn to the other modules for a test. Hooked the second up, and guess what. Smoke again.

Next, I hooked the third module up without load and yet again, smoke :-(

I just don't know what is going on. This must be a huge issue as the datasheet suggests anything from 5 to 18v is fine, I thought that perhaps the IC was in fact a rebadged 5000 designed for single-cell use but then the original would not have charged to the correct voltage.

I just cannot believe the manufacturers are not testing these IC's with power supply but maybe they are not?

Very frustrating as there is nothing else quite like it available, certainly the compact nature and cheap price!

I have ordered some actual IC's from aliexpress to see if I have the same problem...

Perhaps your modules are fakes, or include fake ICs. Did you buy from a reputable source?

Yeah, I suspect so Alec. No I didn't really, both from Amazon and ALiexpress. Thing is you only seem to be able to buy these from such outlets! I actually wonder if any of them work!?

Got home tonight and traced the circuit. Pretty much spot on. Only missing the 10u decoupling caps and I cannot see this being an issue unless the circuit becomes unstable? Good bond to the PCB. I guess either a bad batch, fake or they never worked properly in the first place!

Either way I'm a bit pissed but I have found another driver will try that.

Guess why I never buy cheap Chinese No-Name-Brand junk from online Chinese places who sell clothing and shoes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…