Tracking animals in the wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

HudzonHawk

Got a question for a project I'm working on.

Basically, we have a forest, say a mile or so in radius, and we have a number of animals, say 20, whose behavior needs to be studied in the wild.

What I need to build is a tracking collar that I could put on each of them that would let me determine their location on the map of the forest, and could, if it's not too impossible, transmit sound from them to me.

What kind of receiver/transmitter technology would I have to use to make this possible, and what would be its limitations?

GPS doesn't work very well in the forest. How dense is it? It is in mountainous terrain? You could use RDFs and triangulation to get an approximate location. What type of animals are we talking about? An Elk can carry a much larger transmitter than say a humming bird.

Last edited:
You could use RDFs and triangulation to get an approximate location.
You mean placing a number of RDFs at different corners of the forest and using the angles to find out the locations of the animals?

What is the maximum number of animals such a method would support? How many and how far would the RDFs need to be from each other for optimum results and the best approximation?

. How dense is it?
Not too dense, but there are still patches with lots of trees. Lots of clearings, too.
It's mostly a flat terrain.

What type of animals are we talking about?
Deer mostly, and other animals about the same size. What kind of transmitter do you think would suit best?

OHHH!!!

This was my senior design project, albeit far more complicated.

You probably want to go for a 144-216 Mhz wildlife tracking system, the long wavelength allows for better penetration and more available power at Rx. The receiving an antenna would probably be a yagi-uda-for its sharp directionality/gain.

The device on the animal would have to be a low power (few mW) transmitter. It would probably send out modulated pulses(PAM), to minimize current drain. It'll act like a radio beacon. The limitations, would be size, elemental protection, power and antenna type-uses loops or monopoles.

To my acknowledgement, you can track as many animals as you want. However, this is limited to the number of channels you have on your receiver and the tuning frequency of the Tx. if you have three channels, you can track up to three animals on each separate band. There is probably multi-channel techniques to conserve bandwidth and increase the amount of users per channel, but that complicates everything and costs alot of dough.

The receiver emits audible blips, this aids you in finding the animal. faster rep rate and loudness.

I would suggest using an array/multiple receivers to track the animals and get a vector position on their location. The more the better but so is the $$$$$.

The accuracy depends...on the gain of the antenna.

You must adjust the gain as low as possible(barely hear an audible tone) to home in on the target's probable location. The range is a few km/miles. This all depends on power and terrain. But in a wooden area, flat, no mountains, You can pick up signals, several km. One interesting note, ham guys are employed by the FCC to find RF pirates. but thats another story.

I suggest going to wildlife track. good place. let me know!!!

HudzonHawk said:
You mean placing a number of RDFs at different corners of the forest and using the angles to find out the locations of the animals?
Yes.
What is the maximum number of animals such a method would support? How many and how far would the RDFs need to be from each other for optimum results and the best approximation?
Depends on how smart you want the system to be. Instead of just transmitters you could have a receiver on each collar also. Then using an ID via FSK, or some other signaling system, you could poll each animal at will. Then the transmitter would only be active when needed thus saving power. Using a digital ID and receiver will give you an almost unlimited number of collars on a single frequency. You could also place time pieces in each transmitter (you won't need a receiver then) so that each one only broadcasts at a set time each day and no two overlap on the same channel.
The RDFs should be placed so the angles produced between any two is as close to 90 degrees as possible. Avoid really small angles under 35 degrees because the chance for error increases as the angle decreases to zero and also when it gets close to 180.
Deer mostly, and other animals about the same size. What kind of transmitter do you think would suit best?
Look into "fox hunt" used by Hams and you'll find lots of info:
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…