Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

tracking device to stop people "borrowing my tools"

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegull

Hello,

First of all Im an electrician who's tools are constantly borrowed by fellow workers all day, (which usually ends up in someone else's tool bench).

As Im soooo fed up with walking round and checking other peoples benches I thought wouldn't it be cool to put a passive tracking device in the tools like a RFID where I can sit at my bench and scream across to my work mates accusing them being too lazy to hand my tools back!!! (and in the mean time reduce my trips to the hardware store)

So I was wondering if anyone can help me on this?, Im not electronically minded, but i will give it a go if some one can point me in the write direction!. I was thinking of maybe a distance of 10m .

thanks

I recommend a locking toolbox, put things up when you walk away or etch your name on your tools. RFID is an option but the only tags I know of that are small and cheap enough to fit on all of your tools are passive tags and the range isn't that great in most cases. You could mark your tools with RFID tags (while hoping the borrower doesn't notice and remove said tag, which after your first tracking expedition will be well known) and later walk by their benches. If a recognized tag is scanned you can be alerted to all of the tools of yours they currently have. Beats a cursory visual bench inspection.

Just use your large cable cutter to take the tip off of someones finger. :eek:
After that no one will take your stuff without bringing it back! But if they do then just make a their favorite finger a little shorter as well!:D

I had the same problem for a while and changed it by engraving: "This tool was stolen from Hans." :)

Nobody likes to seen with a tool and this text.

Boncuk

Just use your large cable cutter to take the tip off of someones finger. :eek:
After that no one will take your stuff without bringing it back! But if they do then just make a their favorite finger a little shorter as well!:D

Good you're not a Saudi Arabian. They normally chop off one hand of the thief. :D

Boncuk

there used to be a rubbery compound that technicians would dip handles of tools into, to make them more shock-proof. They were available in several shocking vibrant day-glo colors that could be seen a mile away. I dipped the handles of all my tools into the stuff, or the tips of the handles, and they could be easily seen on someone elses work-bench (I was always far too lazy to lock up my tools). After a while of being caught with my tools, and me making a stink of it...people just gave up "borrowing" without asking.
I got the idea from a co-worker who actually spray-painted all of his tools day-glo orange, so he could find and return them from "borrowers" , although completely painting all my tools seemed a bit too much, so the dipping came to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back