Transferring Schematics to Veroboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

jctproject

Hey everyone,

I'm new to designing circuits (most I have made has been simple hot/cold, light/dark sensor circuits).

I'm currently trying to make a project involving the lowering and raising of a horse jumping fence.

View attachment 62054

"alec_t" very kindly designed the following circuit for me:

**broken link removed**

However, as I am an amateur to electronics, I'm having trouble understanding it :/ .

Basically, I want to make this circuit using veroboard/stripboard. Unfortunately, the transfer of schematics to veroboard is not as easy as I had anticipated it to be.

I would be very grateful if anyone here would be able to transfer this circuit to veroboard for me or if you could recommend freeware that could do same.

Any help would be great .

Thanks for reading.

It's actually extremely easy, all you need is a pencil and paper. Simply print the schematic and number every node on the schematic, number every column/row on the veroboard. As you place chips on the veroboard write the grid location of the connections next to the node number, if a node has three connections to it then you know you're going to need a three long strip that's continuous, trim as you go.

Just give it a little bit of rough mental planning first so you can group components associated with one another a little better and place bulky components or ones that require specific board locations first, work the rest of it in as you go, always complete each node completely before proceeding to the next one, it's virtually impossible to foul up, just requires being methodical.

Last edited:
Just to nitpick the mechanics, putting that drivecog in the very centre of the skiiny drive shaft was the abolute worst choice. The shaft will probably flex enough to cause disengagement (the cog teeth will jump).

Nope, it works fine. Wouldn't it be worse if I had the motor just connected to one side (far left or right) as this would be putting more pressure on it.

No, there should be supports right near the outer gears simple bushings, but if it works as is it's a moot point. What exactly will this end up doing, I've never seen horses that small before

In answer to the question asked by jctproject, here are some links that may be of interest. The first reviews some of the available software to go from schematic to Veroboard. The second two seem to be different links to what is basically the same.

I do not use Verobaord and have not tried any of these seriously.

http://www.printedcircuitsboards.com/software/88/veroboard-stripboard-software.html

Probably the same:
http://code.google.com/p/diy-layout-creator/
http://diy-fever.com/software/

Finally, a program called Fritzing might be of interest. I use a breadboard and have tried Fritzing. Breadboards and Veroboards are similar in some respects, except you cannot cut the traces on a breadboard.

http://fritzing.org/

John

Thanks for your reply, I previously found that site and have tried most of the programs on it. However, none of them can convert the above circuit to veroboard, they just let you design a circuit directly onto the board.

Converting a shematic to a board design, whether it be PCB, breadboard, or Veroboard, is very difficult. I doubt that even the most expensive "autoplace, autoroute" packages do it without some human intervention. Eagle and many others have auto-routing, but not auto-placing. I am never very satisfied with the result.

What you do get is what is called "schematic capture." What that means is that you do the placing and routing, and the program keeps you consistent with the schematic. Thus, since a program to do auto-routing and auto-placing on Veroboard would have almost not commercial market, I assume one does not exist and interpreted your question as wanting schematic capture.

The Veroboard programs appear to have schematic capture. You design the component placing and cuts; the program keeps you consistent with and/or checks consistency with the schematic.

John

Ok, thanks. Looks like I'll have to do without the fancy circuit so .

Last edited:
Converting a shematic to a board design, whether it be PCB, breadboard, or Veroboard, is very difficult.
Why is it difficult? Why does software have to be the solution to a very basic logical mapping problem?

If you do a dummy run using only paper you can eliminate any placement problems in a few minutes. For the few times something like this is useful the time it takes to use the software to reproduce the schematic will outstrip the time it would take to actually just do it!

If you have to do something like this more than a 2-3 times you should probably upgrade your technique to basic PCB's rather than vero board.

Last edited:
Why is it difficult? Why does software have to be the solution to a very basic logical mapping problem?

You apparently didn't understand the OP's original question nor the series of replies from #7 to #10 inclusive that clarified it. Obviously, the OP was referring to software that auto-places and auto-routes, not manual methods. The sentence that you chose to quote referred to auto-placing and auto-routing software. The OP apparently understood that, I am sorry you found it confusing.

Now with that clarification, if you believe "auto-placing and auto-routing" is so easy to do with software, please give some links to free versions that do it.

Most important and to stay on point, can you provide any link to such software, free or purchased, that works with Veroboard as requested by the original poster (OP)?

John

I believe BillMarsden over at the AllAboutCircuits forum made some free software for doing circuits on veroboard (stripboard).

It was a while back , and I have not used it and so can't say what features it supports.

You are only "just" going to be able to get the circuit to work with 330k on the touch switches.
R9 should be about 10k.
I don't like the idea of the emitter-follower Q2, and the 10k pot.

Are you talking about Veroboard or Stripboard. They are both entirely different.
I designed and use Matrix Board as Veroboard or Stripboard are entirely useless and would not have them on my mind.
Here is 24 x 50 hole matrix board

View attachment 62165
View attachment 62166

Last edited:
Stripboard has rows of copper running across the underside of the board and has holes spaced at a distance compatible with mounting IC's. These rows can be cut using a 5mm hand drill.
I thought veroboard was the same, I bought an SRBP matrix board from maplins, this was order code JP48 and 150mm by 74.1mm and this was stripboard
I believe a matrix board is just a board with holes spaced apart like stripboard but it can come with tracks or as plain (no tracks), image of stripboard attached.

best of luck

Thanks. Yeah, its stripboard I was on about so

jpanhalt, you must have missed the point of my post. The time it will take to locate (if something usable exists) this kind of software and learn how to use it effectively is greater than the time to simply do it on paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…