transistor wired like this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since no two transistors will have identical conduction even the same part number for a given base current one will try to conduct a little harder and faster than the other. That will result in one transistor doing all the work depending on the load and likely go into thermal run away. It will likely then burn up. Generally when we parallel transistors we place a very low resistance in each emitter to balance the current flow through each transistor. Typically .1 to 1 Ohm. Per BrownOut, without knowing any more information it is hard to say but generally speaking the circuit you posted will not work as drawn.

Ron

@brownout: uhm, sorry 'bout that... i was to try 2n3055 transistors with about 12V of power... just experimenting to what will happen

@reloadron: thanks for the advice! i'll be trying that... got any idea what are the applications of this king of wiring?

Last edited:
I use a simular arrangement in a variable power supply, that has been my bench supply for close to 20 years now.

See PDF. below.

Attachments

• Variable power supply.pdf
    14.3 KB · Views: 155
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…