Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transposing formula

Status
Not open for further replies.

kybert

Hi,

Not too good at math, so can someone please explain how to transpose the following for 't':

Vinst = Vpk * sin( 2*pi*f*t )

I dont know how to get 2*pi*f*t out of the sin(..)

?

Help!

Joe

What "transpose" are you referring to? The only one I know about is matrice transpose. Or are you referring to fourier transform?

I would like to rearange the formula (transpose the formula) for t.

So:

t = ???

So for any given instantainous voltage (Vinst), i can find how long from the start of the cycle (zero crossing point before the signal goes positive) the signal takes to reach that voltage.

Joe

I don't think "transpose" is the proper term. Anyway, it's basic algebra, just rearranging terms.

Vinst = Vpk * sin( 2*pi*f*t )
Vinst/Vpk = sin( 2*pi*f*t)
2*pi*f*t = invsin( Vinst/Vpk )
t = invsin( Vinst/Vpk ) / ( 2*pi*f )

Not too sure if this is what you are asking for. But it seems pretty trivial to me. Maybe you may want to elaborate more on what you want.

checkmate said:
I don't think "transpose" is the proper term. Anyway, it's basic algebra, just rearranging terms.

There's not a single location filled in for this thread, so I've no idea what countries you might be in?. But 'transpose' is exactly the correct term in English, from my far distant maths days :lol:

Well not really,

Transpose is to do with Matrix mathematics. You "Transpose" a matrix by swapping rows and columns. If you take the traspose of a square matrix and multiply all cells by 1 over the determinant you get the inverse matrix

What is being talked about here is simple equation manipulation and rearanging to isolate a dimention

Styx said:
Well not really,

It's what we were taught back in O level maths, and in T3 Electronics at City and Guilds level (which went well beyond O level).

Matrix mathematics wasn't mentioned at all, it appeared later in maths at schools - probably 10 years or so after I had left?.

Transposing is very often used as a fancy name for rearranging the terms in a formula.

**broken link removed**

checkmate said:
Hmm ... I guess this is a little known term then. Another useless piece of maths knowledge learnt today :lol:

Hardly little known, it's common in the English speaking world - presumably you aren't in that?, as you don't have your location filled in!.

Thanks to 'TheOne' for the link he posted :lol:

your probably right Nigel. Traspose was a word first came across in X-Y graphs when dealing with chaing the y-intercept just "trasposes" the graph virtically - ie moves it and then again in matrix stuff

I have just always know re-arranging forumla as that

Im in the UK, and speak English.

I use transpose to mean rearrange an equation, but could have also used "solve for".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back